Right outdrive?-gctid405266

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right outdrive?-gctid405266

I came across this auction - asked about 20 questions to make sure it is the right oneI just bought the lower unit not the complete.I want to make sure it is alpha 1 gen 2 - he told me it is. it looks a little more modern then mine which causes concern for me.i have a 5.7L mercruiser 1997 (alpha 1 gen 2)

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/709005=30192-$T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYgzBQGCIW4flw~~60_1.jpg[/img]please tell me i got the right one!!!This is from part of the write up:"we have a complete mercruiser alpha one GEN 2 out drive listed for a 5.0 & 5.7 v8 motor!... we are ****** ***,FULL SERVICE MARINE REPAIR located in STOCKTON CA. we will service the out drive with fresh gear lube and a new water impeller as soon as the drive is sold."

http://mercstuff.com/drive_id.htm

Comment

it could very well be an A1G2 drive, but slightly updated apearance. They updated the bravo 2 drive, the new ones dont look like mine but the parts are still the same and "MOSTLY" interchangeable. There are some differences that you can only find when you dig down to the differences in serial numbers. You will want to research this before making the buy but I dont think there were many major changes tbqh.

Here are a couple examples.

Older Bravo 2 (what I have)

Newer Bravo 2 (note the appearance changes, there are some minor changes between them but the main drive parts I belive are the same.)

Comment

Look at the drive you posted compaired to this one. I belive this is the updated "prettier" alpha one like the bravo I posted. Again your going to want to check the serials between them and see what the real differences are. For my bravo it was just little things from what I read.

Older Alpha One Gen 2

New Hotness Alpha one Gen 2

Comment

ryan,

thanks for the info.

Mins looks like the older one in your last pic.

i just bought the lower unit so hopefully there isnt a big difference....plus i paid $400 for it...with a ss prop ill sell

Comment

fox2050ss wrote:
            ryan,

thanks for the info.

Mins looks like the older one in your last pic.

i just bought the lower unit so hopefully there isnt a big difference....plus i paid $400 for it...with a ss prop ill sell
            I woudlnt be too concerned. The difference in the bravo besides the sleeker look were fairly limited. One was the way the ram arms attach to the drive were slightly different then mine, things like that.

For that price you can make a good profit anyway if something isnt lining up. If its an entire drive, remember to check the gear ratio's.

Comment

as I understand it, there are 2 major differences in the Gen 1 and Gen 2.Gen 1 has trim rams that use nuts. The skeg on the lower unit is straight (parallel to the boat/drive)

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/709143=30210-90-106-02fullsize.jpg[/img]Gen 2 has trim rams that use C clips. The skeg on the lower slopes aft, towards the prop. Not straight.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/709143=30209-90-118-02fullsize.jpg[/img]there's something about the cap shape, but I can't recall....I think the Gen 1 is more square....Gen 2 more rectangular.Hope that helps. Ted

Comment

Working...
              X