Need some help gear oil leaking i think.-gctid405222

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help gear oil leaking i think.-gctid405222

Hey guys and gals I'm new to the forums So let me know if i screwed something up.

I own a 1990 Bayliner 28' Model 2958

With twin mercruisers 260 hp each (circa 1997) gas 8 cylinder in the engines.

I'm having my port engine beep when i start and we brought a mechanic last time and he told it was the gear oil after 8 months we are having the same problem again. Not sure how to check where is the gear oil leaking since i don't seem to see any on the bilge any tips.

Thanks

What drive ?
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

They are stern drives.

Comment

lol what drive ?

Theres OMC cobras, kin cobras

there volvo junkers a b and c (haha rick

Comment

[QUOTE]biohazard wrote:
          lol what drive ?

Theres OMC cobras, kin cobras there volvo junkers a b and c (haha rick
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

not necessarily. Bravos have a very common leak at the prop shaft seal. When you remove the prop you can usually tell if its leaking without leakdown test. But I would still do the test to be sure, why not eh

I had mine do this last year its no biggie OP.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
              not necessarily..........

But I would still do the test to be sure,
              Rick...... 1

Brian.... 0

I told you that this was subject to change! :kidding
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I think that makes it 1-1

Comment

trophyboat wrote:
                  I think that makes it 1-1
                  Tony, you may be correct! I forgot that this could be accumulative. My bad! op-
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                    Brian 1..... Rick 0..... subject to change! :kidding

His boat is a 1990 Bayliner 28' Model 2958 with twin mercruisers 260 hp. To my knowledge, the first Bravo was available 1988, so I suppose it could be either B's or A's.

Either way, he's leaking gear oil .... which means that a pressure/vacuum leak-down test is in order!

Anything after A gen two or B1 or B2 have a bottle.

The first thing I would is check if the level is down and top it up. Then monitor it on a daily basis.

Likely it took 8 months to have the level go down enough to set off the alarm.

This would save him taking it out of the water for now.

I am not saying it doesn't need to be done, only that it may not need immediate action.

Comment

It does not take much fluid loss to trip the alarm. It can be caused by a missing gasket on the reservoir. If there is a leak and oil is leaking out, water may be coming back in. Is the remaining oil starting to look milky? As previously suggested, refill the reservoir (check that the rubber gasket is in place), and monitor frequently.
                      Bob Hawes.
                      Kelowna, B.C.
                      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

My engine is from 2007 they were replaced in when i got the boat. In terms of what drive it is if a or b im honestly not sure where to check.

I replaced the lube about a year ago and the alarm stopped tripping but it seems like it has the same problem again. Checked yesterday does not seem milky. I'm going to spend sometime looking around saturday see if i can find something that looks like its leaking.

Comment

Pressure test the drive.
                          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Salmonboater wrote:
                            My engine is from 2007 they were replaced in when i got the boat. In terms of what drive it is if a or b im honestly not sure where to check.

I replaced the lube about a year ago and the alarm stopped tripping but it seems like it has the same problem again. Checked yesterday does not seem milky. I'm going to spend sometime looking around saturday see if i can find something that looks like its leaking.
                            First question, do you have a little plastic bottle on each engine??

Is the one that is giving you the alarm full?

Are all the wires to this bottle connected?

Is the bottle full?

If it is not fill it and try the boat.

Pulling the boat out of the water to pressure test it is a big expense if it is only low fluid in the bottle.

The low fluid indication comes from the bottle not the drive.

If there is any fluid in the bottle the drive is still full.

The bottle only puts fluid in the drive if it is low so the amount in the bottle tells you the drive has fluid.

Water in the fluid would not cause an alarm only lack of fluid.

Just remember testing the drive will not fix your problem if it is low fluid in the bottle or some other indication problem!!!!

Comment

2850bounty wrote:
                              rick...... 1

brian.... 0

i told you that this was subject to change! :kidding
                              its ryan you bastard!!!1

Comment

Working...
                              X