Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.0 Mercruiser-turn key and just get a click-then turn key again and turns over-gctid405183

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.0 Mercruiser-turn key and just get a click-then turn key again and turns over-gctid405183

Just got my 2000 185 3.0 out of storage. Most times I get a click (soinoid?)-and sometimes it turns over. Boat has been used very little-checked all starter conections and battery everything looks clean. Motor looks like new-no rust. Leaving for a rented cabin Saturday so have to get things working. Anyone have an idea what might be my problem. Thanks

Sounds like a weak battery. Jump the battery with a jump pack, another boat or car. Fresh out of storage if the negative cable wasnt disconnected, systems like the radio tend to kill battery's. Or better yet grab your volt meter if you see under 11v it's an issue.

Comment

slav might be going.

Grounds all cleaned up also ?
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

All my connections look clean-I will jumpit with the car-how about that small square fuse that bolts to the solinoid-could that be the problem?

Comment

" Looks clean " doesn't mean they are clean. Use a stiff wire brush. Remove the cables from the battery. Main ground good ? Also make sure your in neutral.

Takes about 1 1/2 hours for me to clean every wire. You bet it will take a little longer.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

could be a sticky starter solenoid or ignition switch...Id bet its the solenoid - if it starts after it clicks why are you boosting it? If it is battery - did you have the battery out over storage and trickle charged every now and then?

Comment

Mine done this at ghe lake the otherday.. my theory a lil tap with the rubber mallet cleared it up.. im assuming sticky solenoid from condensation/moisture i use mine 3 days a week... definitely not a batt issue if its turning over after a few clicks... give a few taps while someone s hitting tge key.. take an air blower n blow the crud outta the starter n surrounding parts

Comment

Most of the times it clicks means most of the times it aint getting enough juice.

How old is the battery?

The last two boats I bought had that issue and new batteries and battery cables fixed it both times.

Comment

My my if it doesn't work hit it with the biggest hammer you can find. And if that doesn't help hit it some more, sorta like a cheatin wife.

I'm just kidding in my tool box onboard i keep the smallest ball preen hammer with a wood handle in my tool collection. I put it there on purpose.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
                    My my if it doesn't work hit it with the biggest hammer you can find. And if that doesn't help hit it some more, sorta like a cheatin wife.

I'm just kidding in my tool box onboard i keep the smallest ball preen hammer with a wood handle in my tool collection. I put it there on purpose.
                    Somethings can't be fixed no matter how much you hit it.

Comment

Working...
                    X