120V and 12V fridge only working on 120V-gctid405175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

120V and 12V fridge only working on 120V-gctid405175

I have a 1996 4087 Bayliner. It has a 120V and 12V fridge. Noticed when i first got the boat the fridge didnt work on 12V. A friend of mine said it may not be hooked up, so I removed the fridge and noticed it wasnt so i hooked it up. And it appeared to be working (the green light on the lower front of the fridge was on) or so i thought. Went out in boat for the weekend and the light remained on but the fridge stopped working when on 12V.

Anyone out there have any idea about this.

Thanks

Craig

Make & Model of the refrigerator would help.

Comment

Probably the factory Norcold.

Comment

Assuming you have a norcold, here is a troubleshooting guide for them. You can troubleshoot it with a volt-ohm meter. Links to the guide have been posted by others previously. Found out I had a bad compressor and Norcold no longer makes them so I bought a new fridge. You may have a poor connection somewhere, a bad relay, or possibly a transformer issue.
        1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

With most 2-way systems, whether on 120 vac or 12 vdc, the compressor motor operates on the same voltage.

When on S/P, the controller unit takes the 120 vac, and transforms it down to 24, 28 or sometimes 32 vac.

When on the O/B 12 volt system, the controller unit takes the 12 vdc and inverts it to 24, 28 or sometimes 32 vac.

So if your compressor now operates, the issue is likely within the controller unit, not the actual compressor motor.

BTW, when both voltage sources are present, the frig should default to 120 VAC.

Make sure that when you test it, that there is no S/P nor Inverter AC power available to it.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It's a norcold model #DE 561

Thanks

Craig

Comment

Just took the fridge out and removed the cover and noticed a plug unplugged from the control board and some corrosion on the board. It look like I need a new control board. Where can I get one fast. Im in Newfoundland Canada.

Thanks

Craig.

Comment

Working...
              X