Noise ?-gctid404953

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise ?-gctid404953

05 185 capri 3.0... when floating i can hear my radio fine but when driving not so much. I have 2 factory speakers and added 2 6x9's in the rear... by the rear bench seat grab handles/cup holders. Seems like alot of motor noise comes through in this area, would it be feasible to seal this up, insulate the area to keep tge racket from echoing.. mine has the sun deck over the engine. Maybe insulate the motor area, anybidy deal with this...

jd higgins wrote:
    05 185 capri 3.0... when floating i can hear my radio fine but when driving not so much. I have 2 factory speakers and added 2 6x9's in the rear... by the rear bench seat grab handles/cup holders. Seems like alot of motor noise comes through in this area, would it be feasible to seal this up, insulate the area to keep tge racket from echoing.. mine has the sun deck over the engine. Maybe insulate the motor area, anybidy deal with this...
    When the first portable mp3 players became available, I thought, "Hey, I can listen to music while I'm driving the boat!"

Well, forget THAT with earbud style headphones.

So then I tried closed headphones; still not so good.

The problem you are experiencing is partly due to engine/gear noise, but also the splooshing sound of your boat cutting through the water, waves or not.

It is REALLY loud on a powerboat.

So, the only way your are going to hear your stereo while driving the boat is to get a REALLY loud one with lots of speakers (all you need is money to get one.....).

But I don't think insulating your engine is going to make a whole heckuva lot of difference.
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

I disagree with that a little bit. My engine hatch had some original thin foam attached that fell off long ago. I am going to get some dynamat type material at the auto parts store and put several layers on. I think part of the reason for the noise is the bouncing around of the sound on the hard surface actually making it louder. Do this test. Have your engine running, now open the hatch. On mine the noise actually goes down with the hatch open. This is because the noise now has a way out instead of bouncing around in there.

There are numerous threads of people that have done this and they claim a reasonable percentage of improvement. I can't wait to be able to talk to my passengers at planing speeds. Right now I have to yell and gesture.

Comment

I understand the yelling and gesturing bit... I also think a good jute insulation or dyna mats would help significantly... Drives me crazy only hearing radio at a crawl or idle...

Comment

well i put a 600 watt 4 channel amp in my 185. Plus up graded the speakers. I can hear my mp3 player or anything else i want to listen to at any speed. Total cost was 300 bucks plus 4 hours to install.

Comment

nh boater wrote:
            well i put a 600 watt 4 channel amp in my 185. Plus up graded the speakers. I can hear my mp3 player or anything else i want to listen to at any speed. Total cost was 300 bucks plus 4 hours to install.
            Yup 600 watts. That is going to be one LOUD stereo!

No chance of hearing much with a typical 20 watt stand alone unit however.

Back to the OP; you can reduce engine noise a fair amount, but there is a lot of sound just from the hull splashing through the water on plane.
            2007 Discovery 246
            300mpi BIII
            Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

You know how if your videoing a skier ir sumn then play it back. I feel like thats all i ever hear is motor roar from the side walls, shooting up towards the front.. Im gonna figure sonething out my buddies got an 89 vip v6 and his is quieter and you can actually have a convo..

Comment

Working...
              X