Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using charging system from my kicker to keep my house battery charged.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using charging system from my kicker to keep my house battery charged.

I run a 2 battery system, one for starting and one house battery. I fish mainly with my Yamaha 8.0 and run my downriggers and sonar/gps off of the house battery while fishing. The gps/sonar craps out quite frequently and I have to do a soft reset. I'm starting to think that the house battery is being discharged enough that the gps/sonar has a hiccup, sensing lower voltage than it wants. My Yamaha has a charging circuit that I could attach to the house battery while I'm fishing but I'm concerned about any possible feedback through the alternator, thus taking it out. Is there a safe way of doing this, or is it just a matter of keeping the battery switch to the #1 battery (starting), while I'm running the kicker?
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Looks like it would work. See this. https://stingysailor.com/2014/05/17/...ng-solution-2/
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

It would work in theory, but the amount supplied would be pretty small. You should investigate the reason the house battery isn’t supplying power for the time needed. It could be as simple as dirty connections. For instance, a 27 series deep cycle normally runs an ac/dc refrigerator for 24 hours before shutting down. Downriggers are a big draw, but not so big that it shuts down the electronics.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Bob,
        I would load test your house battery to verify that it has its rated capacity. If that checks out good and all your connections are clean and tight you can get up to 6 amps output from your Yamaha. You could run this thru a switch and open the circuit when you go back to running on the main engine. If you have a meter you could check the battery voltage when the GPS blinks out and see if the voltage is lower then expected.
        Gibraltar, Mi.
        1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
        34' Tollycraft- sold
        88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
        14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

My recommendation would first be to check your batteries. If your chartplotter is shutting down during operations, it likely means your battery voltage is falling below 10.5V as that is typically the shutoff point for plotters. If your voltage really is getting pulled down below 11V it may be that your house battery system has some sort of an issue. As others have stated it might be poor, loose or corroded connections, a battery cell may have failed or the battery may not be getting charged completely. A multimeter is your friend here.

All of your boat electronics should be on your house system and that should be isolated from your starter battery. The only thing connected to my start battery is the engine and a secondary bilge pump. My recommendation then would be to remove your MBSS (1, 2, Both switch) and instead install an Automatic Charge Relay (ACR). The ACR will combine your House and Start batteries when there is a charge current present (either an AC Charger, or Engine alternator from either your kicker or main engine). The ACR has a protection relay that prevents any surge from damaging other electronics.

Honestly, I would never own another boat now without an ACR. It will provide much longer battery life by ensuring all batteries are fully charged, and prevents human caused dead batteries from leaving you unable to start your engines when you need to. Simple to install and great peace of mind.
          Terry
          1999 Bayliner 3388
          Twin Cummins 4BTA
          Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
          Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

small outboards generally have a rated 6 amp output at its recommended WOT rpm... this output is not linear, but increases exponentially as the rpm climbs... so at an idle or a bit above, you may get 1 to 2 amps output, so it will take many hours to get ten amps back into the bank, and forever to bring a very low bank back to being usable within its recommended range...

its strongly recommended to NOT run an outboard at a high rpm without a load on it, as it can damage the motor and significantly shorten its lifespan..

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Thank you all. My kicker usually runs not much above idle speed, so it sounds like it would have minimal charge capacities while I'm fishing. My Gel batteries, while they have served me well are likely 8 years old, so have seen better days. I had an ACR but removed it when I installed my MBSS. I liked the idea of being able to disconnect any voltage draw when the boat was not in use, it is seldom moored. My bilge pump is wired directly to my house battery so I never have to worry about that when I am moored. I may just start by replacing the batteries.
              Bob Hawes.
              Kelowna, B.C.
              1998 Trophy 2052 WA
              4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Originally posted by bhawes View Post
                I had an ACR but removed it when I installed my MBSS.
                I liked the idea of being able to disconnect any voltage draw when the boat was not in use
                Bob, the ACR can remain connected in the system and by using the master shut off switch the batteries can still be disconnected from the system... and if you have the bilge pump connected to the house batt, the start battery is still protected from any voltage drain this way... the only difference is, as soon as a charging source is seen by either the start batt or the house batt, BOTH banks get to take advantage of the voltage input..
                properly with an ACR one should use this type of switch..... https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...GGT12QJFSREV0G

it simply connects and disconnects both bank from the system simultaneously, and IF one has a need to combine the two circuits, the switch can be turned to the combine position...

some use 3 or more of the traditional style MBSS in a much more complicated wiring scheme to do the same thing that this one switch does. BUT using 3 of the regular MBSSwitch one also has the option of choosing WHICH bank they want to draw power from for which circuit, and throw the switches in the proper order to change the circuits....

when I say "MUCH MORE COMPLICATED" its because only the one who has wired the switches in, knows the correct combinations to get the desired effects... and its also confusing for anyone working on it later to figure it out...

the E-Series switch is all one needs and is simple to wire in, and keeps both banks/circuits isolated from each other, BUT the combiner relay allows the charger to charge BOTH banks while keeping the banks isolated...

the way an ACR works is commonly misunderstood.... it is called an automatic COMBINER relay, but is also called an automatic CHARGE relay..... it neither combines the banks, nor does it charge the banks, but it takes a single charge input and puts it into both banks while keeping the banks completely separate from each other, so that a drain on one bank wont affect the other one, with the E-series switch either on or off, as it doesnt affect the 2 independent systems, other than connecting the power from the batteries into the house and start circuits....

in my boat, I can leave the master switch on, and as long as all my helm switches are off, there is no drain on either bank.... so shutting the master switch off is redundant... but for safetys sake, I shut it off when the boat is not being used.

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                N2K equipped throughout..
                2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Working...
                X