Clear All

Which system did you buy?

Brand/model, etc.

Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
      Which system did you buy?

Brand/model, etc.

Its a kit from Barrs via a supplier in the UK... there doesn't seem to be a great deal of choice over here

Comment

trying wrote:
        Its a kit from Barrs via a supplier in the UK... there doesn't seem to be a great deal of choice over here
        Delco I believe

Comment

Rick,

I am curious as to why you have a dislike of the Pertronix kits. What is your logic behind this opinion?

Comment

RJH wrote:
            Rick,

I am curious as to why you have a dislike of the Pertronix kits. What is your logic behind this opinion?
            Robert, that is correct..... it' my opinion only. Many have great luck with the Pertronix kits.

Hall Effect in and of itself is a great triggering principle, and in particular as the diameter is greater.... such as flywheel Hall Effect.

However, I don't care for the way in which Pertronix created their version of Hall Effect triggering via the small plastic unit that houses the magnetic units.

Pertronix themselves have commented on a potential error of up to 1 or 1-1/2 degrees within their magnetic unit. I don't know if the issue was within a certain run of parts, or if it continues to be an issue.

Add to this the common misnomer that many people think of the Pertronix kit conversion as a fix-all to their previous ignition issues.

Remember....., these kits are finding their way into existing 20, 25 or even 30 year old distributors........ not new distributors!

Owners have a tendency to over-look the condition of their 20, 25 or even 30 year old distributors, and then simply install the kit.

If their shaft bushings and advancing system is OK, then the kits work..... and no more kettering system to fiddle with! :coo-

But if we have worn shaft bushings (very common with a 20, 25 or even 30 year old distributor) and/or an advancing system that is not doing what it's suppose to being doing (again, very common), we get great start-ups and low speed operation......., but may not quite get the performance hoped for.

Good news is.... at anywhere from $90 to $120 (+/-) , they are affordable.

Add the cost of a new cap/rotor ($30 +/- ) and we're up to about $150 or so.

My thoughts are.... take that $150 and apply it towards a complete new system.

Ya get all new everything; new housing, shaft, gear, bushings, advancing system, cap/rotor, etc. .... and NO Hall Effect triggering, unless we go with Pertronix or Accel, or a few others who are using Hall Effect!

I believe that VR and/or Photo-eye will outperform the Pertronix Hall Effect.

I see and hear of fewer issues with VR.

Robert, that's just my take on this. The kits will work OK, and in particular if we take the time to check the distributor out for wear, curve, limit, etc.............. but you and I both know that is seldom done.

I'll help anyone with a Pertronix problem if I'm able to.

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It goes without saying that if you install a kit in a worn out distributor you are not going to realize the full benefits of the kit. That has nothing to do with the function of the product itself.

If Pertronix has had quality control problems that result in the errors you mentioned, while not absolutely accurate, those kinds of errors could easily be even worse with a Kettering system in good condition.

As for the pros and cons of Hall effect sensors, it's really not an issue. Ford used them in literally millions of vehicles that used the TFI ignition from the mid eighties to the mid nineties. Current after market systems use a mix hall effect and VR sensors. One's as good as the other.

Comment

RJH wrote:
                • 1 wrote:
                • It goes without saying that if you install a kit in a worn out distributor you are not going to realize the full benefits of the kit. That has nothing to do with the function of the product itself.
                • If Pertronix has had quality control problems that result in the errors you mentioned, while not absolutely accurate, those kinds of errors could easily be even worse with a Kettering system in good condition.
                • As for the pros and cons of Hall effect sensors, it's really not an issue. Ford used them in literally millions of vehicles that used the TFI ignition from the mid eighties to the mid nineties. Current after market systems use a mix hall effect and VR sensors. One's as good as the other.

• 1 wrote:
                • True.

But as we both know, people who buy these kits are looking for an inexpensive electronic ignition.

They're looking for something that installs simply and quickly......., and they think they're done!
                • Yes, I'll take the Kettering system over the Pertronix.
                • Understood..... but like said, my issue is with the way in which Pertronix does this.... not with Hall Effect intrinsically.

IMO, the little plastic magnet embedded unit is cheesy!

Contrast this with a photo-eye rotor wheel or with a Variable Reluctor.

The make/break with the rotor wheel is at a larger diameter..... and the reluctor is a precisionally machined component.

Apples/Oranges!

But again, Robert...... this is an opinion only. If ya like the Pertronix, then ya like the Pertronix.

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X