Flow Meter Install Question-gctid404374

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flow Meter Install Question-gctid404374

I have twin engines in my '85 2850 Sunbridge. I want to install a flow meter, which integrates with my Garmin GPS unit. The problem is that i have two seperate fuel lines/pickups, one for each engine.

I don't want to buy 2 flow meters, so what are some suggestions? I can install in one line, and just double the numbers for calculating fuel flow, of I thought about bringing both lines to a "Y", installing the flow meter, then seperate again to each engine. Is this a bad idea?

I know that no matter what, I will not get a reading for each individual engine, unless I put it in conjunction with some sort of "Y" valve that I can switch over...

Ideas, other that buying 2 flow meters?

Do you have two tanks, one for each engine? If so, buy two flow meters, any other jury-rigged plumbing will compromise fuel flow integrity.

If there's only one tank with two pickups you might be able to combine the lines into one before the flo meter then separate them after the meter -- still sounds pretty goofy, though and introduces a single point of failure.

It's a boat, you should be used to hemmoraging cash.
    100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Typically, you would have two separate flow sensors. Make sure the Garmin can handle two engines. Sometimes you find flow sensors on ebay.

Comment

You need two flow sensors. Period. I haven't priced the Garmin ones, but the ones from Lowrance are only about $60 and the whole display unit with NMEA 2000 starter kit is $200.

Comment

You need to monitor each engines use. To not do both is a waste. Having monitors on both engines allows you to know not only fuel burn but the state of each engine. I can even tell if they are sync'd in RPM by the fuel burn the monitoring is that good and the engines are so similiar.

There are fuel flow systems that have one display and two fuel flow sensors.

I have one made by Navman. But they are no longer in business I believe.
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I agree. Stay with the two seperate fuel filters, and go with two seperate sensors.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

One tank, two pickups. Both go into one filter with individual

Lines going in and out. Should I put each engine on its own filter?

The part for the Garmin is about $200 each, but I guess the right way to go.

Comment

100% agree that any less than 2 is a waste of money.

Plus... by combining the plumbing systems, you've lost part of the redundancy of having two engines. Trust me... if Bayliner could cheap out by only having one fuel filter and fuel line from the tank - they would.

If you want to cheap out, go with two inline filters before the sensors instead of real fuel filters... and prepare to get flamed, and for Rick and Carlos to destroy this thread

Comment

The part for the Garmin is about $200 each
                  That's ridiculous. Just buy the Lowrance LMF-400 kit then. For around $275 you'll be monitoring both engines on their own full time display. And that network can then take a bunch of other inexpensive sensors, like fuel level for $40, trim tab level for $125, etc etc.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                    That's ridiculous. Just buy the Lowrance LMF-400 kit then. For around $275 you'll be monitoring both engines on their own full time display. And that network can then take a bunch of other inexpensive sensors, like fuel level for $40, trim tab level for $125, etc etc.
                    Also agreed. I have two EP-60Rs on my 2955, and just ordered one for my Wellcraft. They work great!

Comment

Working...
                    X