87 ciera 25 ft chugging when shifting from foward to reverse-gctid404348

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 ciera 25 ft chugging when shifting from foward to reverse-gctid404348

when i made my approach to the dock i lowered to an idle and shifted into reverse to bring her to a stop. it then started to chug and would not raise rpms to even idle, i shifted into neutral and worked the throttle in vain as the dock grew ever closer and my jetski looking ever more fragile. luckley my friend was able to jump to the dock and muscle her to a stop bur this is a growing problem does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be. is there any way the batteries could be over taxing the alternator and putting too much load on it at low speeds? or maybe a carb problem?

Others might be able to help with a bit more info. I suggest putting your boat information including engine (s) and drive in your signature.

Sounds to me like an adjustment issue on your shift cable. Your shift interupter is coming on causing the engine to stumble (which it is supposed to do when shifting) but it is not coming off when you give it more throtle.

Comment

so now if i throttle down from just above idle down to idle she starts to act like its gonna stall out and sometime does if i cant get it into neutral and play with the throttle

Comment

LakeLiner wrote:
        so now if i throttle down from just above idle down to idle she starts to act like its gonna stall out and sometime does if i cant get it into neutral and play with the throttle
        Having had a lot of previous experience with the Cobra shift interrupter system, I'd look at the small Cherry brand switches on the linkage. Try spraying them down with CRC or WD40 and see if that helps. If it does, it's a short term fix. Get new switches and replace them - not expensive. While you're at it check the whole system for any binding or lube needs.

Comment

Another band-aid fix we found worked was just not throttling down to your lowest idle point. When in neutral, bump it up a hair to a fast idle, then shift. Obviously not so fast that you're slamming it into gear, but you know what I mean.
          Geoff & Jen
          Shocking Lesson
          1986 3870
          Hino 175's

Comment

Its most likely the OMC ESA shift interrupt switch. When its working, its what makes the engine stumble when you shift out of gear.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Download_Complete wrote:
              Its most likely the OMC ESA shift interrupt switch. When its working, its what makes the engine stumble when you shift out of gear.
              Ditto!

You may need a lower shift cable and an ESA switch replacement, plus a fresh adjustment.

Remember that your gear selection changes must be made quickly and decisively...... don't fool around with slow shifts.
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

can anyone send me a pic of what this looks like please?

Comment

LakeLiner wrote:
                  Here is a link to a series of Stuart Hastings Articles on the Cobra Shift linkage and drive with pictures http://cdnbaylinerownersclub.com/ind...ch-info-part-1

Comment

More likely a sticky lower transom cable is keeping the ESA engaged when you are in reverse gear. That is only supposed to engage in the split second that it takes the drive to drop out of gear. Because you are coasting in neutral, but moving forward, there is a lot of load on the prop so the ESA most certainly is needed to get it into neutral.
                    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

thanks for all the help guys im gonna try tackeling it this weekend

Comment

LakeLiner wrote:
                        The system will look very similar to these.

There will be both a ignition interrupt and an over-stroke micro switch in the system.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                        X