Garmin Remote GPS Antenna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Remote GPS Antenna

Anyone have any experience with one of those cheap Garmin remote GPS antennas? The only experience I have is with the more expensive bagle on a stick looking antennas that sell for over $75, maybe a lot more made to fit a VHF antenna mount. The cheap ones come with coax cable with connecto like more expensive antennas, are square about 3/8 inch tall and about 2 inches square. The antenna gains seem to be the same. Seems like s good way to mount a Garmin chart plotter with built in antenna, in poor location to see the sky, to keep from blocking the drivers field of view. The remote antenna could be mounted anywhere with a good sky view. The cheaper antennas sell from under $10 to a max of $20. Anyone use one of the cheaper antennas?
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

I have one I put on an old 198C I use as a fishfinder. I decided it would be nice to have a back up GPS. But with that little antenna stuck on my dash, I've been using it for the fishing chart and using my 741xs as my fishfinder. The little antenna works great!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3648.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	421698
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

Working...
    X