Why is the new Faria tach not working.-gctid404002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the new Faria tach not working.-gctid404002

I installed a new set of six Faria gauges on my 1988 2655 for the new Volvo Penta 5.7 and all worked except the tach. They worked fine with star war gauges previously. The light works, but no RPM registering at all. What might be the problem. Gary :hammer
    GARCHAR
    1988 2655
    2009 Volvo Penta 5.7 300 hp DP F3s
    Twice Past Commodore
    Northwest Outboard Trailer Sailors, Eugene,OR

The Faria tachometers have 4 electrical connections 1. +12VDC (when ignition on), 2. Earth, 3. Pulse input, 4. +12VDC (when lighting on - or sometimes on with ignition).

First steps requires a digital multimeter - check that the +12V DC is there when the ignition is turned. The earth is typically a "black" wire (or maybe yellow) and is the reference point for your multimeter readings.

If 12V DC is measured when you turn the ignition on (12V DC should not be available if the ignition is off) then you have power to the tachometer. If no 12V DC can be 2 possibilities a) that the circuit form the ignition to the tachometer is faulty or b) that the earth circuit is faulty. (However as you say that the light works this is unlikely in your case)

Next step is to find if the pulses are arriving at the tachometer - this is a bit more difficult, but if you have an automotive type multimeter (measures dwell, rpm etc.) then you can connect between earth and pulse leads and by selecting "rpm" for the appropriate number of engine cylinders on the meter (with the engine running) you should read the idle speed rpm of the motor. If this is the case it would seem that your new tachometer is faulty.

BTW some Faria tachometers have a selector switch on them to select between 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines - you should also check that this is in the correct position for the number of cylinders that your engine has.

All above assumes a gasoline engine - if yours is diesel then the above would not totally apply

Re Dean

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will try it right away. Gary
      GARCHAR
      1988 2655
      Twice Past Commodore

Comment

My new Faria tach is still not working and the 12 volts and neg. are both ok. My old motor had a coil and the new one is all electronis. The instructions say to connect the terminal or plug ? that says tach. Only it does not say where to look for it. I know I'm getting older, but I need help.. Gary PS Thanks guys for all the help in the past. Gary
        GARCHAR
        1988 2655
        Twice Past Commodore

Comment

From the Farina web site:

Connect a wire to the tachometer stud marked

"SIG" (signal) and secure with a nut and lock washer.

Connect the opposite end to the negative "-" side of the

ignition coil or to the terminal marked "TACH" on

solid-state ignition systems.

Comment

I checked my Faria tach's today. There is a 4 position switch on them for the number of cylinders or an alternator input (outboard or diesel engines).

1 = 4 cyl

2 = 6 cyl

3 = 8 cyl (this is where yours should be set of the Volvo 5.7)

4 = alternator input

As well as the information in the last post, your selector switch needs to be in position 3. When changing the selector switch you will need a small (jewellers) flat screwdriver and you need to initially push down to allow the switch to turn.

Re Dean

Comment

Working...
            X