Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Alignment-gctid403922

Hi All,

A quick question - my mechanic (who seems to be slightly mechanically challenged) is due to re-align my engine after removing the outdrive and confirming it needs doing.

He says I need to hire an engine crane so he can lift the engine and place some shim material in the mounts...

From reading up about this it has occured to me that the engine mounts should adjust the engine both up and down and therefore negate the need for an engine hoist (and the associated hire cost).

Its a Volvo Penta AQ211A.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cue_Ball wrote:
    Hi All,
    • 1 wrote:
    • A quick question - my mechanic (who seems to be slightly mechanically challenged) is due to re-align my engine after removing the outdrive and confirming it needs doing.
    • He says I need to hire an engine crane so he can lift the engine and place some shim material in the mounts...
    • From reading up about this it has occured to me that the engine mounts should adjust the engine both up and down and therefore negate the need for an engine hoist (and the associated hire cost).
    • Its a Volvo Penta AQ211A.
    • Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 1 wrote:
    • He is thinking of a Gimbal System drive........... your AQ series is Main Suspension Fork/Pivot Tube geometry.

There is no further re-alignment required when simply removing the AQ series drive.
    • No shims that I know of, unless the original mount towers were incorrect to begin with.

However, if you have not yet replaced the PDS bearings/seals, you will need to raise the engine up and out of the way.
    • Yes, and this is done during the initial engine installation ONLY.

This involves triangulation between six flat areas between the shield and flywheel cover.
    • Yep....... http://"http://www.marinepartseurope...ts right here.

Here is an AQ211 with the DP drive.

• If no history of these being replaced....... I'd suggest new PDS bearings/seals.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Some further info that might have been useful...

The engine block, carb and mounts are VP AQ211A, the transom shield, bearing, bellows, leg, risers, ignition and cooling is Mercruiser (Alpha one Leg).

The combination works well as the block is GM anyway and so the parts are interchangeable.

From looking today, the AQ211A has only two mounts midway along the block on both port and starboard (obviously).

I assume this would cause the engine to pivot on the mounts as required, as oppsoed to a four point mounted engine which is fixed firm.

Does this therfore mean that simply lifting the rear of the engine by a few mm will allow the legs shaft to slide in? Therefore no physical alignment (that would change anyway) after engine installation?

I am not overly mechanically minded but I am doubting my mechanic who says he needs an engine crane and shim material to raise the engine on its mounts.

Even with my limited knowledge I can see the engine can be raised up and down the mount shaft by way of the bolts that sit either side of the engines points (there is a bolt on top, then the engines mount then a bolt underneath). Surely simply losening off the upper bolt then turning the lower bolt will enable the engines mount to travel either up or down the tall threaded shaft that is mounted to the boat?

Any thoughts would be appreciated (again).

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Cue_Ball wrote:
        • 1 wrote:
        • Some further info that might have been useful...

The engine block, carb and mounts are VP AQ211A, the transom shield, bearing, bellows, leg, risers, ignition and cooling is Mercruiser (Alpha one Leg).
        • From looking today, the AQ211A has only two mounts midway along the block on both port and starboard (obviously).

I assume this would cause the engine to pivot on the mounts as required, as oppsoed to a four point mounted engine which is fixed firm.
        • Does this therfore mean that simply lifting the rear of the engine by a few mm will allow the legs shaft to slide in? Therefore no physical alignment (that would change anyway) after engine installation?
        • I am not overly mechanically minded but I am doubting my mechanic who says he needs an engine crane and shim material to raise the engine on its mounts.
        • Even with my limited knowledge I can see the engine can be raised up and down the mount shaft by way of the bolts that sit either side of the engines points (there is a bolt on top, then the engines mount then a bolt underneath). Surely simply losening off the upper bolt then turning the lower bolt will enable the engines mount to travel either up or down the tall threaded shaft that is mounted to the boat?

Any thoughts would be appreciated (again).
        • 1 wrote:
        • Yes, that would have saved me a few key strokes that went in the wrong direction.

You have a Gimbal System drive, so you may want to find a Merc engine/drive model that better suits your installation.

This would no longer be an AQ Volvo Penta.
        • Both Volvo and Merc use the side engine mount design. Your Merc installation will be a four point mount, which is fixed at the inner transom plate mounts. It will not pivot on these side mounts, per 'se, but will raise up/down as to pivot at the Merc rear mounts, of which is required for the engine annual drive coupler alignment adjustment.
        • If the Merc rear mount parts were all installed correctly, there should be no need to lift or lower the rear mounts.

The adjustable front/side mounts take care of the coupler alignment.... and yes, the engine will pivot on the rear mounts.

see image below.
        • I don't know why he thinks that he needs an engine crane and shim material to raise the engine on its mounts.

(see my #2 previous post)

Let's say that the stringer towers are not tall enough, or that the engine mounts are not tall enough to make the adjustment, and shimming underneath them is required.

If this guy can't figure out how to raise one side at a time (in order to place a shim underneath the mount), then I'd suggest finding a mechanic who can!
        • That is correct!

The front engine mount height is adjustable via the vertical studs and the two stud nuts.

This demonstates the coupler and what needs to be checked for alignment.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

That makes perfect sense - as you can imagine I will be changing mechanics once I have seen the leg re-fitted and aligned... (would you believe the leg only had to come off as he had forgotten a washer on the intermediate shift shaft which caused the shaft to drop down and out of the gear select workings on the transom plate). Needless to say he's not being paid for the work.

Thanks for the reply, thats saved me a fortune in hire costs and now I can question the need for a crane.

Comment

Cue_Ball wrote:

Thanks for the reply, thats saved me a fortune in hire costs and now I can question the need for a crane.
            New thought:

If a Merc V-8 was removed, and the AQ 211 was installed in it's place, and nothing else was changed....., then why are we questioning the front engine mount height, other than an adjustment that would have been required for the Merc engine anyway?

Just curious!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
            X