94 4.3 lx mercruiser shift cutout-gctid403859

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 4.3 lx mercruiser shift cutout-gctid403859

When I have the shift cutout hooked up it kills the engine when I shift into gear. If its in gear and I hook it up it kills the engine. Any ideas? Thanks!

I think that you're talking about Merc's SI system. SI = shift interrupt.

The SI is to aid in a shift from gear, back into neutral.

It should NOT be stalling the engine while making a shift into gear.

Sounds like you need an SI adjustment.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yeah I'm sure that's what it is. I thought it was called shift cutoff or cutout. Any idea how to adjust it?

Comment

duckhunter85 wrote:
        Yeah I'm sure that's what it is. I thought it was called shift cutoff or cutout. Any idea how to adjust it?
        First off, the adjustment must be done while the boat is in the water. We need to create the prop thrust that prevents the Dog Clutch from disengaging easily.

If you've not done this, you may want to have a Merc Tech do it for you.

BTW, shifts must be made quickly and decisively.... no fooling around, or even a well adjusted SI will stahl the engine.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thank you! I may just have my boat guy do it.

Comment

I'm a little hard headed when it comes to taking stuff somewhere to get it fixed..... I like to figure things out. But this may be easier taken to someone. Thanks again!

Comment

duckhunter85 wrote:
              I'm a little hard headed when it comes to taking stuff somewhere to get it fixed..... I like to figure things out.
              I think that is a good attitude. It will help you if you were to have trouble while out on the water.

Have someone make a shift while you watch the SI system... engine off and boat out of the water for now.

You may need to hold resistance on the Dog Clutch via the Propeller.

You'll see that the lower shift cable outer jacket resistance moves the cam lever arrangement.

As the cam lever moves, the micro switch is activated.

It's fairly easy to figure out once you see the parts in action.

Give it a shot...... you really can't screw anything up that can't be easily corrected.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Sounds like shift cable sticking to me . Everyone i saw do this adjustment worked once and a while .The cable starts sticking holding the switch too long ,killing engine .

Comment

Working...
                X