TV Help-gctid348514

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Help-gctid348514

Help please, I have a Sharp Aquos TV in my 288, that was in there when I bought it. I am unable to get any reception from the antenna. I have a Shakespear antenna that has an amplifier, it say in the book that is it digital compatible. The specs section of the tv says that it that the tuner receives uhf-vhf, terrestrial digital channels 2-69 and cable channels something to 135 non-scrambled. I have checked all wiring and connection to tv, but no hint of a picture. If I use the dvd player (separately wired to component inputs) it plays fine. I have used the set up in both channel search and auto program, just snow on screen, nothing else. I do not know where the problem is, I originally thought the tv was not digital but the specs seem to indicate it is.

Any thoughts....?

Let the Tv do a channel search. The digital channels are on different frequencies than the old analog channels. The TVs computer will find and convert them.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "digital or analog" antenna. The part which the antenna processes is RF carrier. Its the same for all modes of broadcast. "Digital compatable is pure marketing hype and nothing else.

I was a TV antenna design engineer in a previous job.

The Shakesphere TV antenna requires a power source. Are you sure its hooked up?

Read this: http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/...ad.php?t=63682
    Captharv 2001 2452
    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

trode wrote:
      Help please, I have a Sharp Aquos TV in my 288, that was in there when I bought it. I am unable to get any reception from the antenna. I have a Shakespear antenna that has an amplifier, it say in the book that is it digital compatible. The specs section of the tv says that it that the tuner receives uhf-vhf, terrestrial digital channels 2-69 and cable channels something to 135 non-scrambled. I have checked all wiring and connection to tv, but no hint of a picture. If I use the dvd player (separately wired to component inputs) it plays fine. I have used the set up in both channel search and auto program, just snow on screen, nothing else. I do not know where the problem is, I originally thought the tv was not digital but the specs seem to indicate it is.

Any thoughts....?
      See if it is on "air" when you are letting it find channels.

Comment

If the "AIR" doesn't work, most likly don't have a strong enough antenna. You have to be within about 20 miles for them to work with digital as digital is line of site. Trees, hills, moutains buildings etc. can affect the signal.

I got one that works at best buy and it pulls most of the channels available most of the time within 60 miles.

Comment

yes, I do have power to the antenna, at least the light on the box lights up and the "Snow" changes in density when the power is put on, and yes I have the tv menu on the AIR setting when I have it search. Distance is not an issue, I don't think. My RV is parked a mile from the marina and that tv picks up about a dozen channels over the air without even raising the antenna on the roof. But I appreciate the input.

Comment

I would try another antenna just for process of elimination. Maybe some old rabbit ears in the garage?

Comment

Brad 3055 wrote:
              I would try another antenna just for process of elimination. Maybe some old rabbit ears in the garage?
              That is my next step I suppose. Then trouble shoot antenna if I get pict from those.

Comment

trode wrote:
                That is my next step I suppose. Then trouble shoot antenna if I get pict from those.
                wont work with digital signal

it's yoru antenna, do t really digital as far as pulling in signal but probably they mean will work with digital TV.

How old is TV and how old is antenna. I former is 5 years or less youshould befine, if latter is less than 2 probably not.

we bought our boat right at the digital transiition and like a dummy (because i work in the TV industry) i forgot and spent our first weekend jacking with my shakspeare Star Trek Enterprise looking antenna and scanning channels before i remembered.

Comment

we just have an HD antenna we got from Best Buy. Picks up around 16 channels. Kind of like this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+In...&skuId=8939839

Comment

I got one of these after screwing around. It gets all the available channels. Digital is line of site. They had two to choose from. I got the bigger.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antennas...&skuId=9119642

Comment

I thought I had a digital TV (bought new in summer 2011) so I fooled around with the antennae as well but I ended up getting a converter ($50.00) and the problem was solved - 23 channels perfect. About the same on any of the three antennae tried.

Comment

is a HDTV digital ? i bought a 32" panasonic LCD HDTV in OCT 2011 . now this thread has got me wondering if

i am going to need that conversion box

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                          If the "AIR" doesn't work, most likly don't have a strong enough antenna. You have to be within about 20 miles for them to work with digital as digital is line of site. Trees, hills, moutains buildings etc. can affect the signal.

I got one that works at best buy and it pulls most of the channels available most of the time within 60 miles.
                          Saintjon - 60 miles? - That is exactly what I have been needing for my tv in my boat. Do you have a brand and model #? Thanks - Tom

Comment

245_Tom wrote:
                            Saintjon - 60 miles? - That is exactly what I have been needing for my tv in my boat. Do you have a brand and model #? Thanks - Tom
                            You need to remember that when an antennae is on a boat which is in the water it is low compared to a house and this signal does not curve. Try raising the height a bit first.

Comment

245_Tom wrote:
                              I don't but they have them at best buy. I got the 1 that said 114 miles. They had 2 sizes. I am around 50 to 60 but line of site is not good. I get everything pretty good, but out channel 11 is the weakest of all of them and it can get sketchy once in awhile.

I tried several before I got htis one. All the boat antennas etc. This works as advertised and doesn't look too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X