No announcement yet.

7.4 Engine Mounts Lifespan

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.4 Engine Mounts Lifespan

I will be taking out the engine to replace the coupler, and I am trying to figure out what other preventive maintenance I can do at the same time.
    My motor mounts do not look completely corroded, but still they are 20 years old, and the rubber bushings had probably hardened from being compressed under the weight of 7.4 for so long.
    Should I replace them just because they are old?
    Did anyone see much improvement in terms of noise and vibration after engine mounts replacements?
    Any shared experience will be greatly appreciated.
    1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
    1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

After 20 years although the mounts may still be doing the job, you may find the threads rusted to he.. and near impossible to make any adjustments. Now's the time to replace them and anything els you can get your hands on while the engine is out, things like bilge pumps, float switches, hoses, wiring, etc.
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556
    Misc. projects thread

Also a great time to inspect the oil pan, and any other area that hasn't seen light in 20 years.

Paint everything.

Might be time for a new starter.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

replace the bolts in the starter. As well as the coupler being 20 years old so is the oil cooler. How about a drain hose for the oil pan out the drain plug. I wish I had done that.
        Tally and Vicki
        "Wickus" Meridian 341
        MMSI 338014939

It is time to replace parts hard to reach when the engine is in place, have you removed the concrete from the port side?
          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Thanks for the replies, all good points!
            Definitely replacing the starter bolts, I can see they are pretty rusted.
            Will take a good look at the oil pan, mine is from an inboard (MIE) engine, so it has a sloped bottom
            Click image for larger version

Name:	oilPan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	416628
            As a result, in my "strait" sterndrive installation the plug is not at the lowest point, I dont like it.
            So if there is any rust, i will replace it, probably with aluminum one:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	oilPanAlum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	416629
            And no, I have not yet done the concrete removal, waiting for warmer weather to do it as it will require some fiberglassing to do it properly.
            1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
            1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD