Trim Tab Hydaulic Leak-gctid403473

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim Tab Hydaulic Leak-gctid403473

I am planning to purchase an 89 2455 that has a leak in the hydaulic line to one of the trim tabs. I took it for a test drive and both tabs worked until late in the run and then its list wasnt as easily corrected. I then noticed that the Hyd. reservore was empty. The boat was in the water which actually helped me finding the leak but I was unable to see how the line connects to the actuator. Are these compression fitting or low pressure lines that are clamped??? Are the lines expensive? How likely is it that water entered the piston and caused an issue? Marina stated they couldnt look at it for 3 wks due to current work load.

Thanks,

RG

It shouldn't be a hard fix. I replaced my lines before.

Comment

Typically hydraulic lines are clamped. It would be good to know exactly what is leaking and where it's leaking before going any further. In any case, trim tab stuff is pretty easy to troubleshoot and work on.

If this is a trailer boat, all the easier.

Comment

Rottguinness wrote:
        I am planning to purchase an 89 2455 that has a leak in the hydaulic line to one of the trim tabs. I took it for a test drive and both tabs worked until late in the run and then its list wasnt as easily corrected. I then noticed that the Hyd. reservore was empty. The boat was in the water which actually helped me finding the leak but I was unable to see how the line connects to the actuator. Are these compression fitting or low pressure lines that are clamped??? Are the lines expensive? How likely is it that water entered the piston and caused an issue? Marina stated they couldnt look at it for 3 wks due to current work load.

Thanks,

RG
        Do you know if you if you have Boat Leveler or Bennett brand Trim Tabs. The Boat Leveler Trim Tabs have the hose visible outside of the transom, Bennett Trim Tabs have no tubing visible outside the transom.

Tom

Bennett Marine
        sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

The lines are exposed. It looked like a crack in the hose itself. How are they connected at the pump? Is this low presure enough that I can splice the line with a barbed fitting and clamps? If the pump ran dry, could water get in the piston?

RG

Comment

Replace the entire line and while you're at it, replace them both. It's not that hard. Once the hoses start to deteriorate it's all downhill from there. You'll be making that repair over and over again.

I don't recall the actual operating PSI of the sytem itself but it's pretty high - you can imagine how much pressure is needed to push those plates down against the force of the water flow at speed. You can probably get that info from the Insta-Trim or Bennett web sites.

It's unlikely that water intruded into the pump if you still have fluid in the lines. Even if that were the case, pump replacement is pretty easy.

Comment

This is from the Boat Leveler website Hydraulic Hose: Hose has 1/4 inch inside diameter 1/2 inch outside diameter

400lb.s working pressure and 1,600 burst pressure.
              http://www.insta-trim.com

I would suggest you give Boat Leveler a call, they are very nice folks 800-386-7470

Tom

Bennett Marine
              sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

I replaced mine with automotive brake hose over 10 years ago. Still going strong and price was real good. I also put on hose clamps. At the tabs they had some funky pressure fitting.

Comment

The hose clamps on the boatleveler tabs installed on my boat came with plastic slip-over clamps. I cut those clamps off and installed good quality stainless hose clamps. I've heard of cases where the plastic sleeves crack and no longer provide the clamping affect and leak.

Comment

Ran to auto parts store an bought hose for $1.09 a foot. Installed and bled in a half hour. Old hoses were made in 1994. I guess new hose every 15 years is pretty good. Thanks for all the info.

RG

Comment

I have a 2000 2455. My trim tabs were leaking also. I contacted "Insta Trim" the manufacturer of my trim tabs. One of the trim tabs was leaking because the hose clamp was too tight. Insta Trim told be that the adhesive they had to use back the was inferior. After the boating season was over I sent the actuators to Insta Trim and they reinstalled the lines and re-built the cylinders for less that $100. No problems this year!

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                      X