Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wirie Pro - Users . . and others; comments?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wirie Pro - Users . . and others; comments?

    Need to get better Internet access that's got some "umphf" to it and the Wirie Pro http://www.thewirie.com/ seems to be one of the better ones on the market. Anybody used one and can offer suggestions or tips? How about other Internet users . . . what system are you using? Admiral may be doing some work "work" on the boat so need something that is going to get us pretty good download and upload speeds. Haven't checked out cellular plans but plan on doing that this week sometime - is that a feasible system if combined with a good antenna? Don't think we'll ever be THAT far away from land but then again, you never know. . . . . she probably wouldn't be working then anyway.
    1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
    Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
    WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
    James H. Stradling

    #2
    A couple of years ago I installed a Wirie AP+ (WiFi only) on my boat. It works great. I am able to get a good internet connection at my marina, at a slip where the internet is very poor. I've also been anchored a good distance from marinas with WiFi and have been able to connect. I am considering buying the upgrade kit for use with cellular networks.

    The installation is super easy since all it needs is power. The hotspot reception is good all over my boat, as well as friends' boats that may be rafted to us.

    The only downside is a slightly clunky app for programming, selecting the WiFi to use, etc. Having said that, I have not upgraded the firmware and it looks like some of the issues have been addressed in later releases.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

    Comment


      #3
      I don't use the Wirie -- but instead I use an inexpensive AP running OpenCPN. Device works great. It can run as a WiFi Repeater by connecting to a WiFi hotspot in a marina, or you can tether it to your phone and it can use your existing LTE/4G plan. It's a fraction of the cost. If you really want to get technical, you can set it up to tunnel a VPN to your home router increasing security and bypassing any traffic restrictions implemented at the marina.

      Detail: https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...er-gctid782533
      Terry
      1999 Bayliner 3388
      Twin Cummins 4BTA
      Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
      Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
        A couple of years ago I installed a Wirie AP+ (WiFi only) on my boat. It works great. I am able to get a good internet connection at my marina, at a slip where the internet is very poor. I've also been anchored a good distance from marinas with WiFi and have been able to connect. I am considering buying the upgrade kit for use with cellular networks.

        The installation is super easy since all it needs is power. The hotspot reception is good all over my boat, as well as friends' boats that may be rafted to us.

        The only downside is a slightly clunky app for programming, selecting the WiFi to use, etc. Having said that, I have not upgraded the firmware and it looks like some of the issues have been addressed in later releases.
        Norton - I was considering the Pro model since it also can use cellular networks in case the wifi isn't accessible and, I guess, it's automatic as far as which band it uses. Did you add an antenna to your install? I've heard that it can make a big difference. That's the other reason that I thought about that unit. I have an antenna pivot supplied by the kids from WM last Christmas and I guess I need an antenna extension pole mounted to it and then put the Wirie on top of that. Should have good reception since it'll be above just abut everything.
        Terry said: I don't use the Wirie -- but instead I use an inexpensive AP running OpenCPN. Device works great. It can run as a WiFi Repeater by connecting to a WiFi hotspot in a marina, or you can tether it to your phone and it can use your existing LTE/4G plan. It's a fraction of the cost. If you really want to get technical, you can set it up to tunnel a VPN to your home router increasing security and bypassing any traffic restrictions implemented at the marina.

        Terry - yeah, I really enjoyed reading your former articles but I think I'm like quite a few others - TECHNICALLY CHALLENGED, I am (in your best Yoda voice) . . . I can catch some of what you're talking about . . up to a point . . and then I get lost . . . guess it's above my pay grade. Wonder what the additional cost might be to use cellular all the time? I would like to try the OpenCPN as I've heard so much about it but don't know how to "jump into the fray", as it were . . . and yes, a bit scared too.
        1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
        Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
        WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
        James H. Stradling

        Comment


          #5
          Last summer in Seward, AK they installed free wireless, first it was a bit sloe, so they installed a unit with more power and fast internet.
          Don't need to use my phone for internet now. All free.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

          Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

          Comment


            #6
            Sorry -- typo there -- I said OpenCPN but meant OpenWRT. Believe it or not, it is a very simple device to set up. You simply access it via a browser, and it will ask you which wireless network to join and you're done.
            Terry
            1999 Bayliner 3388
            Twin Cummins 4BTA
            Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
            Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by TenMile View Post
              Sorry -- typo there -- I said OpenCPN but meant OpenWRT. Believe it or not, it is a very simple device to set up. You simply access it via a browser, and it will ask you which wireless network to join and you're done.
              . . . hmmm, almost sounds too easy . . . ok, I'll check out OpenWRT . . . so guess the laptop is going to need to be "in-the-loop" so I can look at the networks then too. Somewhat glad that I still have a good month or more before she comes out from under the plastic so I can read up and maybe even figure out in advance what I'm going to do!
              1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
              Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
              WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
              James H. Stradling

              Comment


                #8
                Laptop, tablet or mobile. Same as Wirie. You have to be able to tell it which wireless network to join, and provide it a password and that's done via a browser. Once you do that the first time, it will remember your network(s) for the next time you connect.
                Terry
                1999 Bayliner 3388
                Twin Cummins 4BTA
                Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

                Comment


                  #9
                  Have been looking into this also only to determine these wifi boost systems are getting obsolete. Wifi has evolved for security reasons where one needs to confirm via a web page which does not work on this older tech. Also you need to look up and join in every time you change wifi spots so it does become a pita, not seamless like one would like.

                  I ended up going with a cellular modem like this https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LB112.../dp/B01N5ASNTE and a Google wifi router like this https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-s...le+wifi+single With this running I will always have a signal and never need to adjust or search for anything. I figure for a few hundred a summer in data charges, I can watch movies, stream music browse the net and get my emails to my hearts content. Obviously your location will change things depending on cell service but I am lucky as everywhere I boat there is a strong signal.

                  I will also be installing a single or dual wireless camera system whichI will connect to my network. https://www.arlo.com/en-ca/products/arlo/default.aspx

                  Here is a real life example of someone being caught stealing on a boat. http://komonews.com/news/local/polic...rmans-terminal
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X