Gimbal bearing bad?-gctid403358

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gimbal bearing bad?-gctid403358

Hi im new to this forum. I have a 94 VIP with 4.3 mercruiser and an alpha 1 gen 2. I bought it not running and in pieces. ive been putting it back together for the last month. I got it running and took it out for the first time yesterday. There is a "growl" at idle and at higher rpm it also has a vibration. It gets much louder and worse when Turning. Is this the gimbal bearing, u-joints or something else? Thank you!

Sounds like the gimble bearing to me. I had one that wasn't seated all the way and I had a growl when I would trim all the way down, but thats the only time. It was due to the driveshaft bottoming out in the bearing. Trimming and turning affected the sound.

Comment

I also had gimbels that didnt apear to be seated, from what your describing it sounds like gimbal. Mine didnt growl but I have heard alot about the growling noise indicating gimbals. I think your on the right track.

They are easy to replace, I swapped out gimbals and ujoints on both my drives in about 6 hours on my 1st try, i could easily get that down to 3-4 next time.

Comment

try greasing it first although generally by the time it makes noise its bad already

Comment

duckhunter85 wrote:
          There is a "growl" at idle and at higher rpm it also has a vibration. It gets much louder and worse when Turning. Is this the gimbal bearing, u-joints or something else? Thank you!
          Yep. That's the telltale. Good news is you've noticed it and it's not a hard or expensive repair.
          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Any idea what size bearing and type is needed. I have access to several types of bearings in different sizes. Also must I change bellows out in order to change bearing if they are not cracked. Where is the zert located for the gimbal? Chief alen said this was a great site. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Sierra part # 18-21005 gimbal bearing can still be greased. All the new Quicksilver bearings are sealed / greaseless.

Noise when trimming up & down indicates a bad gimbal bearing. Noise when turning is bad u-joints.

You can pull the drive, pull the gimbal bearing & install a new one without bothering any of the bellows. You will need the bearing & a drive mount gasket kit.

Refer to shop manual for tools needed. Not a hard job but not possible without proper tools.

New bearing MUST be aligned properly or the drive will NOT go back on. Good Luck to you.

Comment

Thank you. Is the bearing aligned with the same alignment tool used when aligning the engine?

Comment

Yup, you use the bar alignment tool.

After installing the bearing, insert the tool through the bearing and into the coupler. If it won't go all the way in, bang the bar side to side with your hand or LIGHT hammer taps at 3,6,9,and 12 o'clock while continuing to put pressure on the bar to slide in.

The reason for this is the gimbal will likely not be in the right position when you initially install it. The side to side and up/down will move the bearing in the retainer and allign it to your coupler.

After this is done, check the engine alignment in the ordinary way (Light coat of grease, etc)

Chay

Comment

Thank you! Gonna pull it tomorrow.. Hope it comes out easy!

Comment

Working...
                    X