Weather Station / Barometer recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Station / Barometer recommendation

I want to set up a base weather station in my house which is very near the marina and most places I can cruise to within a day or so. I am considering a Weems and Plath Endurance 145 Weather Station, shown below. Can any anyone make a comment and/or suggestion?

Thanks,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 3.46.25 PM copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	415197
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
    bulent@pacbell.net

Don't know about accuracy but damn sure cool looking.
    Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

They don't actually predict the weather. The top meter just displays air pressure. Storms tend to have circulation, so create low pressure, meaning low pressure is correlated with storms and rain. Rain and thunderstorms also occurs when a cold front (usually lower pressure) moves in, so if the barometer is dropping you can expect rain and thunderstorms. The opposite (warm front moving in - associated with rising pressure) also causes rain, but usually light rain with mild weather, like summer showers.

The two lower needles take advantage of the fact that temperature and humidity are linked. The amount of water vapor the air can hold increases with higher temperature. So as the temperature rises, the humidity drops. That's why morning marine layer clouds "burn off" later in the day. And why running a heater in your house "dries out" the air. Likewise, if you've got high humidity and the temperature is dropping, the humidity will rise until it hits 100% at which point it either forms fog or drops out of the air as rain. Which is what happens over the night to form fog and marine layer clouds.

Any combination of thermometer, barometer, and hygrometer will work as long as they're reasonably accurate. So unless the unit is horribly designed and inaccurate, you can get whatever looks good and it'll work.
      1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Weems and Plath makes good instruments and I recommend them. The thing to look for in any barometer is the trend: tap the barometer to unfreeze the needle and set the telltale market to the reading. Check it every hour or two by tapping the instrument and see if it is dropping or rising.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Weems and Plath manual itself states that the words "Rain", "Change" and "Fair" on the top circumference of the dial mean nothing; They are there for decorative purposes. I realize that I need to watch the barometer rising/falling direction as well as the speed of change, if possible. I do not know how much the needle moves so I can't determine if I can decipher the rate of change. From my personal experience, regular electronic weather stations are not at all good in predicting upcoming weather.

I think I shall purchase this unit; At least it will look good on the wall and may lead to interesting party conversations.

Thanks,
          bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
          bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

Down load an APP for a barometer to your phone or tablet.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have taken and taught weather courses for the Coast Guard Auxiliary. The instruments are just that.
              They .measure air pressure, humidity, temperature, etc. They do not FORCAST weather, but give someone the "ammo" to make a decision.
              May I suggest (strongly) the post about the apps for the cellphone: dopler radar and weather maps. I use those from Accuweather. In the past
              in Florida, they seemed to have an accurate and faster knowledge of where the storm was going.
              TV weather is useful, in that with some knowledge you can look at the map behind the weather dummy and make your own forecast.
              As far as weather instrument stations, I like what is made by Davis. Is as accurate as accurate can be, and reasonably priced.
              I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer which we use to determine the dress for weather when we walk the dog in the morning.
              Captharv 2001 2452
              "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Thanks. I gave up on trying to learn how to predict the sea conditions/weather. I read so many sources and tried to learn but this is a subject I am not meant to learn, I suppose. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when we had some troubled weather and I called a professional sea captain friend (who was also living locally) what his thoughts were and he said "Well, I see the signs but I also see the Sea Gulls' flying patterns and I predict the weather will come and go in less than 1 day". There is no way I shall ever attain such experiential knowledge. You also need to know/detect local patterns. Too much above my my head. I use a variety of applications, such as Windfinder, Windguru, PocketGrib and PredictWind and make up my mind for my planned trips. Always, the issue is not the weather on the starting day but on the planned return date. All applications lose accuracy based on how far ahead they plan to project. Also, you can select the particular mathematical model that the application should use but who am I to say which model is better? Just as I develop some experience with model and undersytand its accuracy (for future) it fails miserably and the other model shows a more accurate prediction! What is a poor guy to do?.

I am looking for something quick to allow me to say something about the weather and not make a fool of myself (may be a mission impossible!).

Thanks,
                bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

I have stayed at the dock in Seward AK and everybody that went out said calm seas, I have went out when it was supposed to be mild seas and turned back, go figure.
                  I worked in McGrath Alaska building a house for the weather service, they said when the forcast is complete they are required to go outside and look up!
                  Last edited by boatworkfl; 03-03-2018, 05:40 PM. Reason: add info
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

The only thing predictable about weather is it is unpredictable. If your planning a trip in a boat (or plane) and you must be back on a certain day, don't go.
                    Doug
                    Started boating 1955
                    Number of boats owned 32
                    Bayliners
                    3870 presently owned
                    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
                    X