Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn: Lineman 1 2452 tank deck cut pics !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long did they say the wait for the tank would be? I was told 5 weeks. I'm thinking about using a local guy or one out of San Diego. But then I'm still thinking about making the tank 5 to 6 inches taller. If my math is right that's 40 to 50 gals.more gas.
    1992 2452
    5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

You have room for a deeper tank, how the boats center of gravity will be affected I don't know.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I was thinking the same Chief i can go with 2 50 gal. Plastic tanks but there 22" tall i don't think I want to move that much weight that high. I met a guy in Vallejo did just about what I'm talking about. Move the waste and water tanks outboard make the main tank 5 to 6 inches taller. Should add better than 40 gal. and ride like I have a 250 lb. guy stuffed under the deck on centerline.I'm thinking about baffling tank and other details. I'm going to have to make a bigger hole in the deck to get it in. But I'm really liking this idea.
        Can anybody see where I'm screwing up? Before I spend the money.
        Anybody?
        1992 2452
        5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

I just ordered my tank from Coastline in Bellingham WA. 1289.00 delivered. Start date for building Oct 12th. Comes with all the fittings and new sender. This is the original tank for 1991-1996 2452 that they did for US Marine back in the day. I too, thought about having them build a taller tank to add another hour of fuel. But the water tank and waste tank are on the center-line. If I moved the tanks to port, keeping the water tank inboard, I would still have to carry TAB to keep the boat balanced. I usually run with full water tank for camping and for the wash down when fishing. Also, I do not know of any plastic tanks that have baffles. Coastline did send me the drawings for the tank, and it is pretty technical with baffling and vents. The idea of having more fuel weight is appealing not just for the range but to help these top heavy cruisers in quartering seas. Fuel sloshing around in an unbaffled tank MIGHT add to the rolling effect. That is why I decided against larger or cheaper tank.

Comment

How heavy is the tank? Is it a 2-man job getting it in and out or do I need more recruits? Also, does it pull out easy or was it stuck?
            1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Not sure about the weight. It was about 102.00 for ground freight, so I am thinking about 70-90 Lbs. They are wedged in pretty tight. Lifting from the center somehow will be important. I plan on pulling the engine when I do mine just to have more room to work. Then I can install a serpentine belt kit to upgrade the old 93. I also plan on epoxy coating the tank and using rubber strips to set it with. That should allow enough air around tank for future corrosion resistance. In the NW during winter months this underdeck area gets real moist if you don't reduce humidity. Original tank has visqueen poly wrap around it. What a bad idea.

Comment

Wife and I pulled mine out not heavy just bulky I had to run a sawsall around the tank to cut it lose from and remove excess fiberglass around the hole it sits in. I bought 2 of the vacuum holders like Chief suggests to pull the tank out, worked sweet. I think they were 10 bucks each at Harbor Freight. Pulling the motor would have made no difference for me. I did have to cut a corner off the bulkhead between the tank and the motor but I could ave done that with the motor still in. My motor and drive are both out for a repower.( 100+ gals of fuel, 6.2 MPI and a Barvo 3 ) someday soon!!!!!
                1992 2452
                5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Only enough room for 2 people to pull the tank .

One in the cabin, one at the transom in the boat .

With the suction cups the tank comes straight up, till the aft is just clear of the bulkhead between the tank and the engine bay, then the tank is turned a bit, and stood straight up from the aft.

I can't believe how many fishing weights cam out of the channel. and with a metal fishtape pushing forward and aft to clear up all the channel.

Have fun, was around 90 deg and in the full sun when i did mine.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I bent some 1/4” bar stock to a “L” shape at each end of the bar. Then slipped them under the tank to lift it. I fished a ratchet strap around the middle of the tank and was able to lift the fuel tank out by myself. That’s how I installed the new tank, with a ratchet strap around the middle. I did the install alone, but a helper would have been nice. I didn’t think of the suction cups. There was a lot of hairy fiberglass that draped over the top edges of the tank, that I had to remove. I also sanded the walls to knock off the excess fiber glass. I coated the surfaces with DuckCoat too.

Comment

Great thread, all the pictures help a lot. I'm about to replace my tank and re power my 2452. What is everyone using to cut the deck?
                      1996 Bayliner 2452, 5.7, A1G2. Needs a lot of work!

Comment

• Woodsman8
                        Woodsman8 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I used a circular saw with a carbide blade with a lot of teeth, I used a reciprocating saw for the corners.

Sawzall .

You should a week or more before suck the tank dry, pull off all hoses from the tank , open up the sender hole let air dry.

I used my compressor to put air to one or the other fuel pickup or vent

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thanks Chief! Here's some pics I was emailed my another member here. Looks to be of 2 different tank jobs.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uO...0oS1zPj1gbRPWe
                        1996 Bayliner 2452, 5.7, A1G2. Needs a lot of work!

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Woodsman8
                              Woodsman8 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I’m going to add one more 2x6, because there is a slight movement at the seem when I step there.

Woodsman...... I notice you left about of foot of deck between the engine bay and stern end of your cutout. Is that about right? Seems like you did it the best way to retain some tie-in strength in the deck. It also looks like you were able to retain the engine bay bulkhead in place. When you pulled the old tank, did you slide it back towards engine bay when clear of engine bulkhead then tip the front up and out your cutout hole? Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Woodsman8
                              Woodsman8 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The hole that I cut is about the smallest hole possible to be able to lift, and remove the old tank. I lifted the tank, then had to slide it to the starboard side, maybe 4”. To do the slide, I had to cut out part of the short wall that is on the starboard side of the lower level. (There are some pictures that I put on the thread). Once I slid the tank over, could then tilt the front of the tank up. Well there is a 2x4 floor support beam that hindered me from tilting out the tank. I lowered the tank back down, and sawed horizontally about 2” off of the 2x4, then I was able to get the tank out. After the new tank was in, I glued and screwed the support piece back to its original place. You can see the stainless screw heads in my pictures. My email is woodsman8@sbcglobal.net if you want to contact me directly. I’d be happy to give you any info that would help.
                          Working...
                          X