Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn: Lineman 1 2452 tank deck cut pics !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attn: Lineman 1 2452 tank deck cut pics !

Took a while but found them here they are ...

Click on the pic to make it larger, wish it would work on a few body parts .

Attached Files
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Thanks
    1992 2452
    5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Hi Chief,

There was a whole step by step instruction on how to remove the deck and get the tank in and out. I think that when BOC moved host they got lost. It was at http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...ar-1995-part-1 before the move. Maybe it was archived.

Terry
      Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
      1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
      MMSI 235061726

Comment

Just seeing this now, I would have posted back then, to late now I surmise.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Hi I took out my fuel tank on a 1996 Bayliner 2452 Ciera. Here’s some of my pictures. woodsman8@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Some more pictures. I had to raise the tank up one level, then slide it starboard a few inches to be aligned with the hole I cut. I wanted to have some floor left on the port side, so the hole is not perfectly aligned with the tank. I had to cut some of the shelf wall on the starboard side to be able to shift the tank over. I also cut a floor support back some to be able to lift the tank out. The weld on the bottom aft end of the tank is wear the leak is. I’m going to weld the seam with US FORGE brand aluminum welding rods. They are a special, easy to use rod for aluminum repairs. The company is in Wisconsin. Menards carries the brand.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsman8 View Post
                I’m going to weld the seam with US FORGE brand aluminum welding rods. They are a special, easy to use rod for aluminum repairs. The company is in Wisconsin. Menards carries the brand.
                You have experience welding on gasoline fuel tanks I hope. Don't want to hear about you on the news
                Consensus is that where there's one hole a second, third, fourth are not far behind, most just replace the tank with new.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsman8 View Post
                  I’m going to weld the seam

" WET EVER "
                  1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                  mmsi 338108404
                  mmsi 338124956
                  "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

It's only a rock, get over it.

Comment

Unless you are experienced at welding fuel tanks, I recommend that you find a professional welding shop that does fuel tank repairs.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

And the bottom of the tank ?

About a grand for a new made to specification tank for a 2452 .

Now your good for another 20 year or more if you bed it correctly.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I’ve welded a few fuel tanks over the years. The tank has been empty all winter. While it was in the boat I put compressed air through it for a week, 24 /7. I’ll blow air through it for a few days, keeping the air coming into the tank at the highest point in the tank, and the discharge air from the tank at the lowest point. The rest of the procedure is up to the imagination. I’ll post my results. The main thing, is that I’m very grateful for the pictures that were put on this site to help guide me. That’s why I posted mine also, to help someone that may have a leaking tank. I didn’t know the tank leaked when I bought the boat. Buyer beware, as they say. I’ve learned a lesson on what to look for. Thanks for your concern. I’m glad there are people out there that will take the time to offer advice.

Comment

Keep us posted .

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Well, I found quite a few corrosion pits in the bottom of the fuel tank, and decided to have a new one made. The original manufacturer of the tank is RDS of Perry Florida. They had the blue print of the tank, and it will be made of .125 (1/8” ) thick aluminum. The price with shipping is just under $920. I’m going to give the tank at least a couple of coats of a rubberized coating, before installing into the boat. I’m going to try to have the tank sit a little higher than the original was. I’m also going to invest in a bulge pump that keeps any bilge water at a minimum. The way it looks, is that the bottom aft part of the tank was submerged in water for long periods of time. That’s where most of the pits were. I cut out a section of the pitted area and found many of the pits had corroded through the aluminum sheet metal. The people at RDS seem to be right on the ball with knowledge, and reasonable with price. I should receive my new tank in about 3 weeks. Thanks for the valuable advice.
                            Contact RDS:

Call:

800-292-6898

850-584-6898

FAX:

850-584-4897

email:

sales@rdsaluminum.com

mail:

RDS Manufacturing Inc.

300 Industrial Park Dr.

Perry, FL 32348

Comment

When you guys reinstalled the deck, how did you secure/epoxy it back in place? Did you install some type of support boards underneath?
                              1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

• Woodsman8
                                Woodsman8 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I’m still in the process of finishing the installation. I am using treated 2x6 lumber bolted under the floor to support the floor section that I cut out. I’ll try to put up a picture.
                            Working...
                            X