Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 capri 1850 low speed walk

HI,
    We have a 1998 bayliner 1850 capri. at low speeds, it seems to walk in the water left to right, doesn't keep a straight line. is there an adjustment that can counteract this or is it a normal occurrence with this boat. i appreciate the responses. thank you,
    tyler wiesen

Single screw wandering at low speed is all normal.
    check the torque tab under the cavitation plate.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

While a single screw will have wonder at slow speed it will be worse if the steering swivel shaft is warn has has play. If the grap the outdrive can you move it side to side while the shell does not move? If so it’s in need of replacement.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Like the others have stated, totally normal to wander at slow speeds. Try not to over correct with the wheel. It'll wander to the port and slowly come back to the starboard on its own, so little adjustments to the helm wheel will keep you headed towards your mark.
        Adjustments to the torque tab probably won't help much at slow speeds.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

If you had a great big deep keel it would wander less. If you put your boat in reverse with the steering straight ahead you will have the stern rotate, probably to port. Perfectly normal. Once you are well practiced with knowing how much wheel walk a bump of the shifter will get you, you can look really good at maneuvering your boat. However, outboards and outdrives can be more difficult than single inboard. Pod drives are just messed up.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Just as others have said.....normal. I installed Nauticus Smart Tabs to my 185 a few years ago. One of the additional benefits to the tabs other than keeping the bow down or planing more quickly is that my bow “wander” has totally disappeared after I installed the tabs. For roughly $150 I think it is probably the best mod you can do to improve overall performance....easy install as well......there is plenty of info here regarding the smart tabs and similar tab products
            Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
            1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Working...
            X