Idle hesitation, spark plug ?, etc...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
    The TKS does not have a choke but instead an enriching circuit that adds more fuel when cold. Issues range from gummed passage, faulty temp sensor, faulty plunger.
    this is interesting news to me. So does this mean that the TKS will start to send more fuel when its colder outside? Meaning if I am cruising in the evening when its cooler or ahdn on the water and temp drops, that my system could very well flood easier due to the TKS?

Comment

Originally posted by JPsBay View Post
      . So does this mean that the TKS will start to send more fuel when its colder outside? Meaning if I am cruising in the evening when its cooler or ahdn on the water and temp drops, that my system could very well flood easier due to the TKS?
      no... it senses the temp of the engine, not the air.... in the morning when the engine is cold, it will richen the mixture, but after the engine warms up. It senses the engine.is warm and sets the mixture accordingly.....

although i have seen a sensor go faulty and it would randomly dump a lot of fuel in every few minutes to the point where the engine would stall... than after a bit of cranking, it would start up and run fine for a few minutes... and flood out again.
      replaced the sensor and all was good....

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
        Nauti_Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        Centerline is correct. Like a choke the mixture is only richened when the engine is cold. A fuel injected eng8ne does the same thing by increasing the duration the injectors are open.

Not bad for the first time, huh guys ?
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_Alen View Post
        Not bad for the first time, huh guys ?
        Looking for the previous "laughing out load" emoji but it's been changed to this freakin thing

Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Freekin tks carbs i hate them.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Update:

Do not have the TKS system, which sounds like a good thing. I tore apart the carb and rebuilt, which I now have a very smooth running motor at good idle. Going to set final adjustments to idle in water this weekend.

Issue I was having turned out to be a bad float level and noticed it was dumping fuel into the carb after I shut the motor off.

Happy boating season to you all, especially those who have lend their time to help!

Comment

Glad you resolved the issue, thanks for posting you findings.
              1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Hope it works out for you .

Question ... you did shake the float, it did not have fuel in it ?

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_Alen View Post
                  Hope it works out for you .

Question ... you did shake the float, it did not have fuel in it ?
                  Chief,

I should have clarified better. Float needle was not seating and dumping fuel onto the ventures (i believe this to be the right part name). At that point when I noticed that is was just flooding constantly, I got the rebuild kit and completed the job. I also used the thicker base gasket after doing research on this carb to yield better idle results.

Comment

New float then ... Makes sense.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                    X