That's not good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's not good

I was doing some routine maintenance in my 245 engine compartment the other day, removing the sea water pump for impeller replacement. I also wanted to check the aft bilge pump because I recently switched on the bilge pump on the dash but didn't hear the motor running. The bilge pump has a separate float switch module so I manually tripped the float switch but the pump didn't turn on. It should since the bilge pump should be powered directly at all times but only switched on/off via the float switch. I turned on the bilge pump switch again and still no pump action. The bilge pump switch on the dash should override the float switch and turn the pump on. So I crawled back into the engine compartment, tripped the float switch and still no action but I noticed the pump assembly was getting warm. So I decided I would just remove and replace the bilge pump/float switch since it was the original pump from when I bought the boat new in 2003. I noticed that the cable assembly for the pump ran up over the fuel tank and at that point (over the fuel tank) the cable assembly terminated with bullet male/female crimp connectors, where it then connected to the boat cable harness. So I unscrewed the pump/float assemblies and then started unscrewing the nylon cable clamps when I noticed a glow coming from one of the bullet male/female connectors. Apparently that connector separated at some unknown point but the male and female ends were close enough to spark the 12 volts creating a glow that I could see though the heat shrink insulator. So I'm thinking I had an igniter condition in my engine compartment and directly over the fuel tank.

That's not good
    2003 Bayliner 245
    2007 Sedona F21

Agree not a good situation, inspect the connection as arching may have damaged the connectors. Also you said the bilge pump itself was warm so it was either jammed by debris or the shaft was frozen.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
      Agree not a good situation, inspect the connection as arching may have damaged the connectors. Also you said the bilge pump itself was warm so it was either jammed by debris or the shaft was frozen.
      Yep, the motor was pretty much frozen. I thinking about using better connectors that won't separate easily. Maybe a marine multi-pin locking connector.
      2003 Bayliner 245
      2007 Sedona F21

Comment

What's good is that you found it!
        You would have thought that this would have caused the fuse to blow, due to the current being drawn and the heat generated.
        88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
        98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Originally posted by 88fourwinns View Post
          You would have thought that this would have caused the fuse to blow, due to the current being drawn and the heat generated.
          Fuses have a small delay before they blow and the short time it sparked just wasn’t enough however over time the fuse would decay and blow.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 88fourwinns View Post
            Definitely a good thing on two levels. The potential for an explosion/fire and the boat sinking without a working bilge pump.

The bilge pump is rated at 4 amps max and to use a 5A fuse. The float connection has a 5 amp fuse while the direct connection from the dash goes through a 10A circuit breaker. It was probably the direct connection that was making it warm. I manually tripped the float switch for only a few seconds.
            The original bilge pump that Bayliner used is a Johnson model 3210 1000 GPH. Not sure how it rates quality wise but I wasn't too impressed.
            2003 Bayliner 245
            2007 Sedona F21

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
              Nauti_Mike commented
              Editing a comment
              My 1997 Maxum has two Johnson bilge pumps that still work flawlessly

Originally posted by Douggy View Post

Yep, the motor was pretty much frozen. I thinking about using better connectors that won't separate easily. Maybe a marine multi-pin locking connector.
            Maybe use good old crimp connections with the heat shrink over the top, the good heat shrink with the glue inside.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• Douggy
              Douggy commented
              Editing a comment
              Butt splice connectors with the heat shrink and glue would work well

Good that you found the issue! I would also make sure that there is no kind of an electrical connector that close and above the fuel tank! I would look to re-route some of the wires so the connector, locking or not, is away from the fuel tank.
            Retired, computer expert / executive
            Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
            Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
            D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
            bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
            bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

• Douggy
              Douggy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I don't like that wire bundle with connectors in that location either. I'll see if I can reroute it.

YIKES!....Going to put her in the water anytime soon?

Comment

Not the bayliner, could freeze still. But the pontoon possibly, we are getting mid to upper 70's this week.
              2003 Bayliner 245
              2007 Sedona F21

Comment

Since the connection was glowing, I would suspect you have a circuit protection issue. When doing your connection repair as others have described, check for voltage when the fuse you think is the bilge pump is removed. If that is the correct fuse for that circuiut and you have no voltage, replace the fuse with a 5 amp. I assume it has a fuse and not a pop up type circuit breaker, if it does, then replace the CB unit. A glowing wire will "trip" or blow a 5 amp fuse. Also, someone may have changed the wiring to go directly to a hot bus, so who knows.
                2650 Bayliner Explorer Express , 1980 model , single diesel; Isuza 4BDI, 280 outdrive,
                previous boats,
                Sea Ray 31, Tolly 48
                Great loop completed 2006
                10 year live aboard
                retired to land 2015
                rmitch

Comment

• Douggy
                  Douggy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll check it

There's no substitution for spending some time down in the engine compartment. Good catch!
                1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
                previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

Originally posted by Happy_Friday View Post
                  There's no substitution for spending some time down in the engine compartment. Good catch!
                  The only thing I dread about when spending extended time in the engine compartment is a few days after when the physical pain sinks in.
                  2003 Bayliner 245
                  2007 Sedona F21

Comment

Working...
                  X