Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping into Neutral past 3000 rpm-gctid402912

Hello

I have 1994 2858 and had a problem this week that i was hoping i could get some advice on. Engine seems to be running fine good temperature etc however when i try to push it past 3000 rpm its like it pops back into neutral just sound of higher revs but no power or I'm guessing propeller movement. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

The specs of my boats are as follows:

Year:1994

Model:2858

Engine:7.4L

Drive:Bravo 2

Thanks

Bob

spun prop hub or coupler, easy fix to try is a different prop, hopefully thats all it is

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I guess if its the coupler it would be a big fix i assume?

Bob

Comment

Bobpatrson wrote:
        Thanks for the reply

I guess if its the coupler it would be a big fix i assume?

Bob
        labor wise its a good bit, you have to pull the engine, you dont have to lift it out of the boat but you have to get the coupler off the flywheel, still could be the prop and thats what I am hoping you have

Comment

I don't think anyone mentioned how to check...

Get the prop dry. Apply nail polish to the prop and hub, and let it dry.

Take it out and run it until it slips. Then look at the prop. Did it slip? If the prop is fine, 99% the coupler. Pull the engine to change the coupler, yeah it's a big job.

It's probably a hub though.

Chay

Comment

Based on what the OP has stated, the coupler doesn't seem to be the issue. If the coupler is compromised, the engine would remain in neutral regardless of RPM's.

Comment

I had a old dinged up prop that would cavitate at RPM. It felt like it was comming out of gear but it wasn't. I could slow down a little and it would hook back up. Marking the prop and hub didn't reveal any movement. The new prop cured the problem.
              Carl

Comment

Thanks everybody for all the help i will check next weekend hopefully its the propeller. I assume this can only be fixed with a new propeller if thats the issue is that correct? I know sometimes the propeller can be rebuilt as well.

Thanks

Bob

Comment

Bobpatrson wrote:
                  Thanks everybody for all the help i will check next weekend hopefully its the propeller. I assume this can only be fixed with a new propeller if thats the issue is that correct? I know sometimes the propeller can be rebuilt as well.

Thanks

Bob
                  I have a brand new 18.25 by 19 merc oem prop that I will let go for $500 plus shipping.

Comment

LOL, I'm sure you will. Since you can buy much better props for half that price.

Heck, I'll sell you those new for $450 and make some profit.

Comment

Whats the best prop that i can buy for my boat now that i have to go out and buy a new one? Marina is telling me 700 to replace my original prop I'm in canada.

Thanks

Bob

Comment

try to borrow one first, even if its not the exact pitch, before you spend the cash

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                          LOL, I'm sure you will. Since you can buy much better props for half that price.

Heck, I'll sell you those new for $450 and make some profit.
                          Great I will take a dozen. They list for $945 up here in Canada

Comment

Bobpatrson wrote:
                            Whats the best prop that i can buy for my boat now that i have to go out and buy a new one? Marina is telling me 700 to replace my original prop I'm in canada.

Thanks

Bob
                            Bob where are you located,

I will send you my brand new OEM merc prop 18.25X19, presume you have a B2 drive for $500

No duty, brokerage or HST. (roughly $200) Also free shipping.

I will pay the shipping by buss.

Cheers

PM me

Comment

Bobpatrson wrote:

Thanks

Bob
                              This is brand new, never touched the water.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X