Water Strainer Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Strainer Questions

Started in on my first engine maintenance on the 3870 I just bought. I don't know much about the history of these engines so everything is a bit of a revelation. Started on the water strainers today. Generator strainer was pretty clean but both of the engine strainers were pretty full of mud. Port strainer was 3/4 full and starboard about 1/2. A few questions:
    1. How long do you think it took those strainers to get so gunked up?
    2. It looks to me like I need to replace some gaskets in these things to get them water-tight again. All three strainers have the same model label on them but the engine ones are clearly bigger than the generator strainer. What model number do I use to get gaskets? Engines are EH-700
    Sea strainers on the engines were pretty gunked up. Normal? All 3 strainers have the same label on them but the genny strainer is smaller. What gaskets fit what?

I would guess several years.
    I cleaned mine really good when I bought my boat, and there was nothing in it. After that I inspected every year. Still nothing, but, I never ran mine aground in the mud.
    Esteban
    B-ham!
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

The amount of gunk depends on the water the boat runs in. I boat on lake superior and only pick up debris if in shallow water, usually weeds.

Regarding the seals, I have Perko brand strainers and have made gaskets from cork or rubber. Basically flat "o-rings" about 3/16 inch thick.

Comment

Seal kits are available from Perko thru various parts distributors. Cork gasket kits for upper and lower run about $18.00. Just Google the 493/500 part number .
        Gibraltar, Mi.
        1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
        34' Tollycraft- sold
        88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
        14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Measure carefully, don’t cut....okay old joke. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...u9fdiu34_b_p20
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Finally got my strainers all back together again today. I ended up cutting my own cork gaskets but I ran into sealing problems on a couple of them, had to resort to plumbers putty to get a good seal. I think the mating surfaces just weren't quite flat enough, the old gaskets were really degraded in there, looks to me like it was a long time since anybody opened these up. Nice and clean now though. For future reference, the 493/500 series strainers come in different sizes. The Westerbeke generator on my 3870 was a size 5 and the engine strainers are size 7. You have to make sure you specify the right size when you order the gasket kits or they won't fit. 493DP799M is the cork kit for the engine strainers, 493DP599M would be for the generator. Also note that newer model 493/500 series use a rubber gasket kit, the old ones use the cork.

Comment

The tricky part is getting the cap “balanced” between the two tightening nuts. If one is a little too tight, the air will get pretty blue getting the leaking to stop. For myself, I’ve found that bringing both nuts down to touching then tightening each the same number of turns each time, like three turns on each, leaking? Yes? Two more turns on each, leaking? No. Done. Leaving one side untouched and only removing the other nut was an exercise in futility for me.
              I’m kinda concerned that you used plumbers putty. The water swirls around there quite a bit and that cover gasket is kinda critical. If the water can find a way to wash something away, it’s trouble.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
              MMSI 367770440
              1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
              Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
              X