Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I plug up this hole? Bilge holes fore and aft in cabin.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I plug up this hole? Bilge holes fore and aft in cabin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	212.3 KB ID:	410664Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	344.6 KB ID:	410665Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	410666 Something that has always really annoyed me is bilge water that runs from the engine compartment all the way to the front of the boat particularly in a cabin sized boat. It seems to me it only serves to spread the bilge slime and smell and dry rot throughout the entire boat.

Here is a picture of the bilge keel area inside the cabin of my 3450 Avanti. This is where the water tank is going but bilge water runs in there.

Can anyone give me a good reason I should not plug the holes so water doesn't flow fore and aft thoughout the entire boat?

I would really like to capture some of it as storage but now i cant because water gets in there. I would plan to put more bilge pumps up front but the reality is the only way water could get in there is if the boat is sinking anyway.

What are your thoughts?
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

I think if you seal off a compartment a bilge pump with float switch should be added. You never know what type of hull damage a boat will incur and bilge pumps help to minimize the risk. If you did that you could use it for storage also.
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbird View Post
      I think if you seal off a compartment a bilge pump with float switch should be added. You never know what type of hull damage a boat will incur and bilge pumps help to minimize the risk. If you did that you could use it for storage also.
      That is kind of my plan. I have about 20 feet of closed bilge where the water runs in. If it was dry I could use it. I see no reason why not to block it off. I asked just in case I'm missing Something
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Condensation in the bilge is an issue, it will not always be dry.
        When I pull my water tank I will seal up the 3 compartments if possible as I have 2 bilge pumps in each of the 3 sections.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Yeah i understand the condensation. I'm ok with that. Thinking it would maybe be a good place to store hoses and such. I don't mind damp but the dirty bilge water just bothers me. I think with bilge pumps it would be fine.
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

I was under the impression that there is to be no connection (drain tube/limber hole etc.) from the engine bay bilge to the forward bilge, so fuel vapor is contained within the engine bay bilge where there is a blower motor and ventilators to keep clear. I'm guessing there's no blower or ventilation in the forward bilge. I vote seal it up and add a dedicated forward bilge pump.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
              I was under the impression that there is to be no connection (drain tube/limber hole etc.) from the engine bay bilge to the forward bilge, so fuel vapor is contained within the engine bay bilge where there is a blower motor and ventilators to keep clear. I'm guessing there's no blower or ventilation in the forward bilge. I vote seal it up and add a dedicated forward bilge pump.
              That is a good point. My conquest is built the same way water goes fore and aft I never under stood that. Beyond thinking that someone's idea was if water gets in the front it can move to the back and be expelled.

My vote.is don't let it get in there in the first place and if it does make the repair and remove the water. Rather than the attitude well it's going to get wet anyway sonwe will just make a way for it toget out.

Therefore this week it's getting plugged and I'm going to open the rest of the floor a little.
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

Water will get down there. Give it a way to get out

Hull /deck joint, portholes all have the potential to let water get down there.

My 38 sits on the trailer all winter with bow up - somehow I end up with water in front bilge from rain alone and there are no obvious points of entry of water in the front part of the boat.

I know that the air intake vents let water in to the rear section but that is trapped in the keel.
                1989 3888
                Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

All the above advise, AND, clean the bilge and keep it clean...
                  Buy a gallon of whitewall tire cleaner or engine degreaser, (when bought as a liquid in the gallon container, its the same stuff), and use a spray bottle, or garden sprayer to mist it down in there... let it set for 20-30 minutes and rinse it out the drain hole... depending on how nasty it is, it may need a second treatment... it will shine like new...

NU LIBERTE'
                  Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                  5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                  N2K equipped throughout..
                  2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                  2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                  '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                  Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Just throwing in an idea.
                    Maybe installing a non-return valve letting the water only flow towards the engine bay?

Comment

The 2655 Ciera models drain from the cabin below the steps, under the water & fuel tanks to the engine Bilge. While it is true that CO or gas fumes could travel up the pipe, it cannot be blocked because the AC drains to the well just below the cabin steps (also where the forward Bilge pump resides). While I'm sure that could be changed to a thru Hull fitting (with much difficulty), if the water system sprang a leak and the pump failed it would create lots of mold/mildew quickly if one were not at the boat daily.

I was thinking rather than a permanent plug, just using a good rubber stopper, or even a small garboard style so it could easily be removed for when the drain was needed.
                      1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
                      "Sea Flights"
                      5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition
                      Alpha I Gen II Sterndrive with raw water cooling
                      MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
                      Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

I don't have that style boat, but some points I would consider first....the bilge only picks up at a certain level, so any water that gets in there would ferment if you sealed it off. I know my bilge doesn't pick up first inch or 2 of water.

I would consider finding a good scupper type valve as mentioned before in this thread. That still gives you drainage without allowing the back flow. Remember, you have bilge in the stern that's not pulling low levels of water out.....if you go with scuppers I would mount so you can easily access to clean debris in case small debris enters or if you need to override them...

though being if the stern bilge fails the opened channel allows the other bilge pumps to save ya. I just figure they put them there for valid reasons and you don't want unintended consequences.
                        Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
                        Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

So I believe I have devised a plan. I think there are 3 sections in the door cabin between the center stringers. one section which is the largest will be the new water tank which I am going to install a 52 gallon plastimo flexible bladder. Replacing the original aluminum 50 gallon tank.

in the aft part of that section is the limber hole that leads to the engine compartment. Im going to add divider there to hold the new bladder but leave the hole that leads to the engine compartment. The reason for that is the water pick up for the toilet and the wash down pump is there. If something should happen there will be a small coffer dam and a way for the water to escape aft to 3 different bilge pumps.

Forward of that im going to stop any flow forward and aft.

Forward of the water tank is what I think are 2 sections the middle section I'm going to cut about a 1 foot by 1 foot hole and put a hatch in the floor. In the front section which is the front part of the keel im going to install a sealable hatch door in the floor and all the holes connecting those section I'm going to seal up.

in addition I will put a large bilge pump in each section. My old searay was that way and the cabin bilge was always dry. I actually dont forsee any water getting in there.

Additionally all the glass in those areas are raw glass un-gel coated so I'll be cleaning it up and gel coating all the inside sections. All in all it will be a 10ft × 27 inch section I can claim for storage of something maybe even additional water tanks.

In the end if it becomes a problem all I have to do is drill out the holes and take it back to original. I don't think I'll have to do that.
                          twin 454's
                          MV Mar-Y-Sol
                          Twin chevy 350's inboard
                          Ben- Jamin
                          spokane Washington

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, especially with the redundancy of pumps and flow in areas where water intrusion is most probable. My bilge and below deck storage is gel coated and sure makes cleanup easy. Doing that is over my ability, but interested in seeing pics of your project.
                            Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
                            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

I did the same in my Avanti, plugged the 2 holes with silicone. Mid and forward bilges were always bone dry for the last 8 years. I did install a second bilge pump in the engine compartment a few inches higher than the original which was also connected to an audible and visual high water alarm.

That being said, water should not be entering any of the bilge areas on any boat however poor design sometimes dictates otherwise. On the Avanti, AC water drained directly into the mid bilge so basically it was wet all the time. I rectified this by installing a condensator https://www.mmair.com/marine-divisio...d-condensator/ which worked wonderfully by the way. On the new boat they have the drains connected to shower sumps which also works very well. Draining directly into the bilge IMHO is just a cheap way of doing it which will lead to stagnent water issues eventually. The Avanti did have an independent mid automatic bilge pump which obviously never got any use after the modifications but was still available for any unforeseen issue.

The biggest issue is usually the rear bilge or engine compartment if you prefer. All my Bayliner's were poorly designed as rainwater entered through the blower vents, I worked on these the best I could to eliminate most of the issue however completely eliminating it never happened. It would have been so easy to design this properly at the factory but then again that would cost a few extra dollars. I resorted to a third bilge pump installation which was mounted in the lowest area of the bilge. The pump I chose was designed to draw water from the very bottom, https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-...itch--15038078 This leads to another issue, bilge pumps need to detect water in order to start and unfortunately detecting small amounts is not possible. The unit in the link can be set to cycle on every few minutes to check for water. If water is detected it will pump until none is left. This did not eliminate water in the bilge but did keep it to a strict minimum.

Bottom line is water should not be getting into any bilge unless there is a leak. Find and solve the leak if possible otherwise take measures to keep the water as low as possible or divert it so it causes the least problems.

Good luck with your project, you seem to be right on track.
                              Cheers, Hans
                              2007 Carver 41 CMY
                              Twin Volvo D6-370
                              Montreal, Canada
                              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X