Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bus heater/water heater plumbing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bus heater/water heater plumbing

    I have bus heater I would like to install in my 2859 and I would also like to be able to plumb the water heater to the engine. Is this possible? Would having both units plumbed to the closed cooling system impact the engine cooling function negatively? Could I run both at the same time or would I have to put splitters on the lines to only run one at a time?
    Paul
    2002 2859 Ciera Classic, 350 MAG MPI, Bravo II
    2013 Tandem TuffTrailer
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

    #2
    Yes it is. The 2859 came with a bus heater and water heater plumbed to the closed cooling system, at least mine did. You won’t negatively affect your closed cooling system because what you are doing is effectively adding more cooling capability. Now if it’s really cold where you are at, it might take longer to heat the water, or your cabin.
    Esteban
    B-ham!
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

    Comment


      #3
      I they are both on the same loop why would you run them at the same time? You'd be pumping heat into the engine. Zone them off.
      Irony
      Bayliner 4588
      Portsmouth, NH

      Comment


        #4
        Plus one with green650. You could put a valve in line for the heater if additional heat in the cabin during the summer becomes an issue. I ran a setup like that for years with no issues.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

        Comment


          #5
          Click image for larger version

Name:	6BAEEA8D-E756-42CE-B2AA-329EF121BF48.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	410137 Agree w green.
          No need to zone them off IMO. Supply the cabin heater and or water heater from the intake manifold upstream of the t stat. Return will be connected at the starboard side of the engines circ pump.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Kwood View Post
            I they are both on the same loop why would you run them at the same time? You'd be pumping heat into the engine. Zone them off.

            The engine is the heat source in this scenario. If your moored up and AC shore power is heating the water tank it won’t likely put any heat into the engines cooling system as the circ pump isn’t spinning and if it did it wouldn’t have any I’ll effects on anything.
            In colder climates many boats have heaters/furnaces that are plumbed/designed to preheat the boat engine.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

            Comment


              #7
              it sounds as if you have a water heater with a heat exchanger in it... if so, its easy to connect it in line/series with the bus heater, but the bus heater should be first in line to get the heated water from the engine.... so that you get the hottest water for the cabin heat first.
              if the hot water heater you have does NOT have a heat exchanger option in it, it cannot be tied into the engine.

              a FWC engine runs at a higher temp than the hot water heater does on shore power, so there is no need to worry about feeding to much heat from the hot water heater back into the engine.

              there should be no problems running them at the same time, and it should not impact the cooling system for the engine at all.... providing, the heat exchanger for the engine is not plugged up, the seawater pump is giving good flow, and the engine thermostat has not failed, you wont notice any difference...


              NU LIBERTE'
              Salem, OR

              1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
              5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
              N2K equipped throughout..
              2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
              2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
              '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
              Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post
                it sounds as if you have a water heater with a heat exchanger in it... if so, its easy to connect it in line/series with the bus heater, but the bus heater should be first in line to get the heated water from the engine.... so that you get the hottest water for the cabin heat first.
                if the hot water heater you have does NOT have a heat exchanger option in it, it cannot be tied into the engine.

                a FWC engine runs at a higher temp than the hot water heater does on shore power, so there is no need to worry about feeding to much heat from the hot water heater back into the engine..
                I agree, for me cabin heat is priority so it gets supplied first in the loop, however many members have supplied the water heater first probably so the water gets as hot as possible. For my needs it's plenty hot being second in the loop.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

                Comment


                  #9
                  I agree with Builderdude,
                  Its safer to have the water heater second in the loop - The engine water temp is much higher then what the shorepower heating element thermostat is set at. This can cause the hot water from the heater to be scalding. Something to be aware of with kids.
                  Gibraltar, Mi.
                  1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
                  34' Tollycraft- sold
                  88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                  14' Zodiac Bay Runner

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by green650 View Post
                    Yes it is. The 2859 came with a bus heater and water heater plumbed to the closed cooling system, at least mine did. You won’t negatively affect your closed cooling system because what you are doing is effectively adding more cooling capability. Now if it’s really cold where you are at, it might take longer to heat the water, or your cabin.
                    green650, do you still have your 2859? If you do I would be really interested to hear or see pics of where your bus heater is installed and also where the water lines are routed to the two heat exchangers...
                    Paul
                    2002 2859 Ciera Classic, 350 MAG MPI, Bravo II
                    2013 Tandem TuffTrailer
                    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X