Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Bayliner 285 mid cabin flooding - Raw water hot water heat exchanger ticking timebomb.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Bayliner 285 mid cabin flooding - Raw water hot water heat exchanger ticking timebomb.

Guys
    Just making you aware as I don't want it happening to anyone else. If you have a hot water cylinder that uses raw water from the engine for heat, check the inlet and outlet pipes for corrosion. Even though my boat is a 2012 with 49 hours, both of these failed a few weeks back whilst on our way back from our holiday which takes three hours to get home. My wife told me that she had just put something away in the mid cabin and it was like a sauna. During those three hours boiling hot salt water flooded the area where the water tank is located which coincidently, was situated behind a non water tight bulk head. The entire mid cabin was saturated, carpet, mattress etc which all had to be dried out. I removed the inlet and outlet hoses and after a quick conversation with someone that new what they were doing, joined them with a 5/8ths pipe joiner. No more problem. The water tank still works but only when plugged into the mains. Evidently a very common problem. Stay safe

I take it your boat is raw water (salt) cooled and you have no engine mounted heat exchanger for your engine cooling needs? If so, was the water heater a stainless unit or aluminum?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Water heaters are meant for closed cooling systems not raw Water systems. Yeah they will fail. Thus they make water heaters that are AC only for raw water cooled engines.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Originally posted by yachtman View Post
        Water heaters are meant for closed cooling systems not raw Water systems. Yeah they will fail. Thus they make water heaters that are AC only for raw water cooled engines.
        I agree with the statement for salt water opertion. We had two boats on lake superior with raw water cooled engines, and the water was routed thru the water heater for years with no issues.

Comment

Aluminium by the looks of it. I keep the boat in a season to minimise the affect sea water has on everything. After I wash the boat down the fresh water collects by the leg allowing me to run and flush the engine. Great invention

Comment

Closed Cooling hot water tank will last almost 30 years VS your raw water Cooled 49 hours even with flusing...
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            93 3058
            92 2855
            91 Fourwinns 205
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Working...
            X