Vaccu-Flush Woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaccu-Flush Woes

When I bought my new to me 1987 3870 both vaccu-flush heads were working. On the trip up to Victoria, BC from Olympia, WA, the guest head stopped flushing properly. I have since discerned that my wife and I were using the wrong kind of toilet paper and I just spent the day changing out duck-bill valves and flushing out TP mush from the whole system. Where I stand now, the master head flushes fine. All duck bill valves have been replaced and I think I have unimpeded flow from the guest head, but its vaccum pump isn't coming on at all. So my questions: if one head is working fine is there some sort of breaker or fuse that I might not be aware of that controls the second head? Could something still be gummed up that would prevent the one pump from running? I could well have dislodged an electrical connection while I was reefing on hoses, any way I can jump-test the offending pump? I'll post a few pics.

No Idea why two of those photos uploaded upside down, they are fine on my end. My apologies for any crinked necks.

Comment

I would start with checking with a meter to verify that you have, or don't have 12 V at the vacuum pump.
      Alex
      Orange County, Ca.
      2001 3988
      Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Yes 2 white vacuum accumulator tanks connects between a toilet and S or M series vacuum pump.
        vacuum switch is located at the bottom inside the cap, red & wht wire looks to be 2 auto butt splice with no shrink wrap.
        inline fuse on that red wire so check that first.
        red 12VDC + wire and white wire should connect to the "B" terminals at the vacuum switch... check for power with a multi meter ,
        this is where 12VDC fused + comes in first.
        you will need a good ground source doing this, since both wires are 12VDC positive here.
        if there is 12VDC +, run a jumper wire across "B" terminals then the pump should run.
        replaced all 4 db valves, sure they are in proper direction?
        1 holding tank or 2?
        there is a shutdown relay if the tank is full.
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        93 3058
        92 2855
        91 Fourwinns 205
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

I'm pretty sure I just have the one holding tank that you've seen in the pictures. I say 'pretty sure' because the hose labeling from the Y-valve implies there is another tank but I don't think that is correct, I know the tank is not full because I just had a pump-out and I also opened the holding tank in the pictures and manually cleaned it all out yesterday. I'll test for power today and check electrical connections. I think there may be some fuses shrink-wrapped along the lines so I'll check those.

Comment

Yup, it was just a fuse wired into the run. Replaced it and now I'm all cleaned out and flushing again. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Ahaua
              Ahaua commented
              Editing a comment
              Isn't it great to find the solution!? Think of all the $ you saved.....

93 3058
            92 2855
            91 Fourwinns 205
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Well, the fuse was a nice easy fix but unfortunately after I got the master head flushing again it was apparent it needed a new ball seal. Good news is that the previous owner left me quite a few spare parts for the toilets, all brand new in bags, so all the duckbill valves, ball seals, and vacuum breaks were there for me to use. Bad news is I did basically end up replacing all of them and still had to run out and drop $40 on a new floor flange seal, but now every seal in that toilet has been replaced and I'm more familiar with the whole disassembly process than I would really like to be. But still all is not well. I must have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system because one of my vacuum pumps kicks on for about ten cycles every five minutes or so. That isn't normal is it? Between flushes I wouldn't think the pumps should come on very often. One area that I can hear air escaping from is the vent fitting on the holding tank. My understanding is that air vent enables the tank to normalize pressure after liquid is flushed into the tank. So does it matter if the tank is airtight or not? That vent is connected to outside air so does it really matter if the fitting is not airtight? Sorry for the upside down pic, not sure why that happens.

Comment

You should not hear air escaping from the vent fitting as it simply equalizes the pressure between the holding tank and the outside air. Only way you can have a pressure build up in this area is if the vent fitting and/or hose is plugged. I suggest you replace the hose and maybe fitting at the hull as both must be full of dried up residue defeating its purpose. This vent's primary function is when pumping out (high volume) as if it is plugged you either collapse the tank in an extreme case or put excessive pressure on all the seals and valves in the entire system. Come to think of it, this may be the cause of many of the repairs you have already done.
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

You know, that hose could easily be plugged, it is very gunky looking, which I thought was odd considering it was just for air. There is definitely pressure build up in my tank, I guess I know what I'll be looking at today.

Comment

Not normal.
                    tank can't be air tight...it needs to breathe.
                    sounds like your vent line is clogged.
                    the holding tank + vent line is not under vacuum, so most likely has nothing to do with your problem.
                    if the bowl holds water, your ball seal is good most likely , next common place is the flange seal but you replaced it.
                    you will probably need their special vacuum gauge, start isolating your problem.
                    remove the hose connects to the accumulator tanks from your toilet, plug/block it off, see what happens...
                    93 3058
                    92 2855
                    91 Fourwinns 205
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

I think my heads are finally in order. The through-vent was completely clogged with corrosion. I'm in the process of replacing it and the fresh-water through-vent. I tightened up all the hose clamps I could reach on the vacuum system extra-tight using a socket instead of a flat screwdriver and that seems to have ended my vacuum leak. Toilets all hold their water, flush strong, and the pumps don't seem to come on between flushes anymore. Thanks all.

Comment

Great job Bry! With all the $$ you saved tackling this job yourself you can head on over to the fuel dock and fill her up guilt free!
                        Jim Gandee
                        1989 3888
                        Hino 175's
                        Fire Escape
                        Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

I've been using this stuff the last 4 or 5 years and it's great. Keeps the valves and pipes clean. If you switch to it, you have to get rid of all the deodorizer you're using first. https://www.marinesan.com/Noflex-digestor-p/noflex.htm
                          Doug
                          Hanging Loose
                          98 Carver 350 Mariner
                          2013-
                          KRUSTY KRAB
                          2001 305
                          5.7 BII
                          2006-2013

Comment

Working...
                          X