Flo-Scan Going out of business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flo-Scan Going out of business

Floscan announced today they will be closing their doors at the end of February. They are taking final orders until the the end of the month.
    However ,model type and quantity will be subject to availability.
    They are in negotiations with a buyer to take over supplying spare parts.

This is sad- I always had good luck with their systems and their support.
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

I understand the issue as why should one pay for a service when on all newer engine this data is available at your finger tips at no additional cost. Why would one pay for data which already provided for free?
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

That and encroachment from folks like Garmin who I think offers a low cost fuel flow sensor for older engines

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Garmin or Lowrance fuel flow sensor will not work with diesel engines.
        not many diesel engine capable fuel flow sensors out there now.
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        93 3058
        92 2855
        91 Fourwinns 205
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
          Garmin or Lowrance fuel flow sensor will not work with diesel engines.
          not many diesel engine capable fuel flow sensors out there now.
          Thats true, I do not think there is any solution for diesels anymore.

BTW... bit of history...

I got one of the VERY first Floscan diesel installations on my 3488. Floscan actually paid for the installation to use it in their promotional material. They even put a Rep on the boat to make the trip from Seattle to Alaska to film.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

As I recall that rep jumped ship.
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Originally posted by dmcb View Post
              As I recall that rep jumped ship.
              You remember...

Jump Off Joe! He is still the sales mananager (unfortunately for a short time).

For those that do not remember the story of Jump off Joe, here it is.

I was interested in the brand new Floscan diesel fuel meters and contacted Floscan. I mentioned that I was part of the BOC site team, of course hoping to get a discount.

The Sales Manager Joe called me back and he made the offer that if I bought the units at a severe discount he wold pay to have them professionally installed in my new to me 3488 Avanti. He only asked that they be allowed to film and photograph the installation for their promotional materials.

After the install was done Joe contacted me and asked if he could accompany us on our journey north from Seattle to Whittier Alaska. I made a deal that if they paid half the fuel he could come along. I had never met Joe in person, we made the deals over the phone, with BOC member Nate who was building me a hardtop being the dockside point of contact.

My buddy Dave and I arrived from Alaska, with a planned departure for the next day. The first thing I notice is three really good quality TV cameras on tripods on my boat, and Joe the Floscan sales manager. When Joe asked me how to work the marine head, I started to realize we might be in trouble. I just assumed that Joe had marine experience since he worked for the marine fuel measurement company.

When I asked about the cameras Joe said they were to document our journey. When I told thim that the tripods might be an issue because of the waves we would probably encounter, he was enthusiastic that he would work that out.

We took off the next day later than expected, clearing Ballard locks and hitting the throttles. The water was glass calm. The 3488 Avanti was FAST at 27 knots. We cleared Canadadian customs at Nanaimo and met up with Mike for a nice dinner and some beers. Great times!

The next morning bright and early we took off in again flat seas, headed for the fabled Seymore Narrows to make a slack tide. At 27 knots we didn’t even notice the narrows, great ride!... We were jammin up the inside of Vancouver Island, destined for Port Hardy.

Right up to the point where we came around the top of Vancouver Island the seas were flat. Then we picked up the open ocean swell, and a bit of wind. The waves grew and I dropped off of plane and down to 7 knots, slogging through a wind blown head sea.

I was just learning the boat, and had a great time confident that my new 3488 could handle the waves. Dave my buddy and I were joking that we might die today. Just guys kidding around to make conversation. Joe was quiet, and a little pale. He kept rubbing these beads he kept in his hand. He threw up, thankfully over the side, just a bit seasick. This went on for a couple of hours. Dave and I kidding like guys do, and Joe rubbing his beads. I asked him what they were and he said they were Rosary Beads. I had no clue, and made sure he knew that Dave and I were just kidding about dying, and all would be well shortly. He seemed OK with that, but still a little green.

As we rounded the corner to pull into Port Hardy of course the waves subsided. They were not all that big to begin with, I remember guessing maybe 6 or 7 feet, but pretty steep.

We got docked at the almost full harbor and went up for a nice dinner. Joe seemed to be doing much better, and we all joked about the waves. Joe had two doubble shots at dinner so I figured his stomache must have recovered.

We crashed out early thinking about the weather that was suposed to be perfect for our crossing of the legendary Queen Charolette Straits the next day. Dave and I each had a stateroom, and Joe had the couch which made into a nice bed.

At Zero Dark thirty the next morning I poke my head out of my stateroom end notice that the sofa was made back up, and the salon was squared away. I joked that Joe must be all rip roaring and ready to do it again.

Joe looked right at me and said... and I will Always remember this..

”Yesterday I thought I was going to die” “you Fu...ers are going to die” “I’m going home”. Then he literally picked up the last of his bags and left. It was that quick.

We named him Jump Off Joe and wondered how we were going to explain to Customs that we entered Canada with a crew of three, and left with two. We also spent allot of time on our perfectly flat crossing of Queen Charlotte Strait joking how Joe would explain this to the guys back at the office.

We didn’t die that day, but we almost died a few days later... but that is another story.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY
              SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Great story, the Johnstone Strait can get real interesting
                Boatless
                (Sold) All In
                2002 Bayliner 37
                330 Cummins
                AB

Comment

That sucks, I just installed one.
                  Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                  96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

'the rest of the story is even better. I remember that also.
                    Started boating 1955
                    Number of boats owned 32
                    Bayliners
                    3870 presently owned
                    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
                      That sucks, I just installed one.
                      No, that's just an inconvenience . . . . what sucks is that I just had TWO installed . . . to replace the tachs (which were "incompetent") . . . just had to do it, I guess. . . . they do look really good though . . . .
                      1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
                      Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                      WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                      James H. Stradling

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Thats true, I do not think there is any solution for diesels anymore.

Actually there is a very good solution for older (non-CANBUS) diesel engines. Maretron makes a number of fuel flow meters and the FFM100 fuel flow monitors. The monitor converts the sensor information to NMEA 2000 signals that can be sent to a chartplotter or a dedicated display. You need one FFM100 and tro flow meters per diesel engine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Diesel.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	409822
                        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                        Anacortes, WA

Comment

that sure is allot smaller than the floscan solution. Their unit uses a set of pulsation dampeners thaty take up allot of real estate in a tight engine room.

KEVIN SANDERS
                          4788 LISAS WAY
                          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

So now that I have one installed and I have a problem there will be 0 tech support, double bummer .
                            Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                            96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

You remember...

Jump Off Joe! He is still the sales mananager (unfortunately for a short time).

For those that do not remember the story of Jump off Joe, here it is.

I was interested in the brand new Floscan diesel fuel meters and contacted Floscan. I mentioned that I was part of the BOC site team, of course hoping to get a discount.

The Sales Manager Joe called me back and he made the offer that if I bought the units at a severe discount he wold pay to have them professionally installed in my new to me 3488 Avanti. He only asked that they be allowed to film and photograph the installation for their promotional materials.

After the install was done Joe contacted me and asked if he could accompany us on our journey north from Seattle to Whittier Alaska. I made a deal that if they paid half the fuel he could come along. I had never met Joe in person, we made the deals over the phone, with BOC member Nate who was building me a hardtop being the dockside point of contact.

My buddy Dave and I arrived from Alaska, with a planned departure for the next day. The first thing I notice is three really good quality TV cameras on tripods on my boat, and Joe the Floscan sales manager. When Joe asked me how to work the marine head, I started to realize we might be in trouble. I just assumed that Joe had marine experience since he worked for the marine fuel measurement company.

When I asked about the cameras Joe said they were to document our journey. When I told thim that the tripods might be an issue because of the waves we would probably encounter, he was enthusiastic that he would work that out.

We took off the next day later than expected, clearing Ballard locks and hitting the throttles. The water was glass calm. The 3488 Avanti was FAST at 27 knots. We cleared Canadadian customs at Nanaimo and met up with Mike for a nice dinner and some beers. Great times!

The next morning bright and early we took off in again flat seas, headed for the fabled Seymore Narrows to make a slack tide. At 27 knots we didn’t even notice the narrows, great ride!... We were jammin up the inside of Vancouver Island, destined for Port Hardy.

Right up to the point where we came around the top of Vancouver Island the seas were flat. Then we picked up the open ocean swell, and a bit of wind. The waves grew and I dropped off of plane and down to 7 knots, slogging through a wind blown head sea.

I was just learning the boat, and had a great time confident that my new 3488 could handle the waves. Dave my buddy and I were joking that we might die today. Just guys kidding around to make conversation. Joe was quiet, and a little pale. He kept rubbing these beads he kept in his hand. He threw up, thankfully over the side, just a bit seasick. This went on for a couple of hours. Dave and I kidding like guys do, and Joe rubbing his beads. I asked him what they were and he said they were Rosary Beads. I had no clue, and made sure he knew that Dave and I were just kidding about dying, and all would be well shortly. He seemed OK with that, but still a little green.

As we rounded the corner to pull into Port Hardy of course the waves subsided. They were not all that big to begin with, I remember guessing maybe 6 or 7 feet, but pretty steep.

We got docked at the almost full harbor and went up for a nice dinner. Joe seemed to be doing much better, and we all joked about the waves. Joe had two doubble shots at dinner so I figured his stomache must have recovered.

We crashed out early thinking about the weather that was suposed to be perfect for our crossing of the legendary Queen Charolette Straits the next day. Dave and I each had a stateroom, and Joe had the couch which made into a nice bed.

At Zero Dark thirty the next morning I poke my head out of my stateroom end notice that the sofa was made back up, and the salon was squared away. I joked that Joe must be all rip roaring and ready to do it again.

Joe looked right at me and said... and I will Always remember this..

”Yesterday I thought I was going to die” “you Fu...ers are going to die” “I’m going home”. Then he literally picked up the last of his bags and left. It was that quick.

We named him Jump Off Joe and wondered how we were going to explain to Customs that we entered Canada with a crew of three, and left with two. We also spent allot of time on our perfectly flat crossing of Queen Charlotte Strait joking how Joe would explain this to the guys back at the office.

We didn’t die that day, but we almost died a few days later... but that is another story.
                              Originally posted by dmcb View Post
                              'the rest of the story is even better. I remember that also.
                              Ok, now you have to tell it​​​​​​​

Dave
                              Edmonds, WA
                              "THE FIX"
                              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                              Misc. projects thread
                              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• hookemdano
                                hookemdano commented
                                Editing a comment
                                YES....tell the story
                            Working...
                            X