EFI swap out on 90 2055 Capri??-gctid402553

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFI swap out on 90 2055 Capri??-gctid402553

Hi all, want to get some opinions on converting my Merc 2.5 to EFI, electronics for the era are simple and it would eliminate some of my cinor carb issues and give me a reliable electronic ignition at the same time...............I know a lot of people would say why would I waste my time on a 2.5 but it works great is super economical and does all I want it for......Input??

Sig

How much do you know about fuel injection?

If the answer is not much, buy yourself a good carb, replace your fuel pump and maybe a fancy intake.

If you know a tonne, and have the tools and know how to burn chips etc, then it's thoretically doable with a gm tbi setup. You'd have to get an electonically controlled distributor form an late 80's car, and make sure it's up to the rigour of marine application.

It's a long road.

I did this conversion on a 305 recently, but it's not really easy.

If you have points you can probably run a pertronix in you dist. It's not full electonic, but it's better than adjusting/replacing points.

Chay

Comment

When I replaced the engine in my 2455, I had the FI discussion with a couple of shops here. Both of them said, "don't do it!" They both said they waste a lot of time trying to the FI to work right and it often never does. They said just replace the carb with a good one, and maybe the manifold if that engine came with a restrictive one, and be done with it.

I hate carbs like you do, but the experts don't just make this stuff up. Particularly when they had a chance to sell me an FI system and tune it for me.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys, Think I will leave all as is, FWIW, the carb is new, the engine rebuilt, the boat has few vices, technically speaking it is a non issue as I own a mechanical shop...........My concerns as well were proper fuel delivery, sensors etc and I do love points, nothing a swiss army knife and a cigarette pack cant fix

Sig

Comment

Working...
        X