Leaky Motor-gctid402493

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky Motor-gctid402493

I have a 1996 Capri 1950, 3.0L (4cyl) Mercruiser, Alpha drive. Bought it a couple of months ago & did some fix-up. Had new skeg welded on, new fishfinder, new side-bunks on the trailer, installed a Keel Guard on the hull, and fixed some minor wiring problems. Took it to Lake Powell for the first trial. Boat runs great, but the motor leaks water into the bilge. Looked like it might be the freeze plugs. Had 2 streams of water running down the side of the engine. When I got home I looked more closely and it seems the freeze plugs are OK. The water is coming from above the plugs. Can't tell exactly where because the intake manifold is in the way.

If I run the bilge pump every 15 minutes or so for less than a minute, the leak isn't a problem, but I do need to fix it. Like I said, the motor runs great. Smooth & strong, good idle, WOT about 4500RPM, 38MPH top speed (on GPS) - altitude 3630 ft. Cruises about 21MPH @ 3000 RPM with 0ver 450lb worth of passengers. Seems like a solid engine. No sign of water in the oil. I suspect a leaky gasket. Does anybody have any suggestions? If it's something I can fix myself, I'd like to do it,but don't want to get in over my head.

Plugs are on the starboard side and the manifold is on the port side. There is a access plate for the pushrods on the starboard side. Where is the water coming from? I have this exact same engine.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

You may have an engine block that has become cracked due to freeze damage from improper or NO winterization.

Sad part is, often these will run as though nothing is wrong!

If the block is freeze cracked, I doubt that it will become any worse, but it's certainly not a good scenario.

Now prepare yourself for the JB weld suggestions! And it may work.... you've got little to loose by trying it.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

my friend bought a boat and after a few usages he noticed water coming though the out side of block, took a closer look and the PO silicone the crack, he cleaned off all of the silicone, used the dremel tool and cleaned area and JB weld the crack, no issue afterwards, poor winterization from PO, very fortunate he didn't have to change motors as of yet.
        Roy Letts, Brockville On. Canada
        1992 Bayliner 2556 Ciera
        MerCruiser 5.7, Alpha 1, Gen 2

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
          Plugs are on the starboard side and the manifold is on the port side. There is a access plate for the pushrods on the starboard side. Where is the water coming from? I have this exact same engine.
          Water is coming from 2 places on the port side - under the manifold. Looks like a possible leaky manifold gasket. Talked to a Merc mechanic today and he said to tighten the bolts holding the manifold on first & see if the flow decreases. He said it's not difficult to replace the gasket, just time consuming. Hardest part is cleaning the old gasket off. I may try it since I can't really afford 3 hours labor @ $110/hour. If it doesn't work, I'll put it back together and run it 'til it drops.

Comment

Under the manifold is a casting plug. Take off the manifold, in one piece the elbow and carb. Loosen the 2 clamps on the rubber hose that connects to the metal pipe. You may have to use a bent knife or screw driver and run it under the rubber hose. Now with the hose still attached to the elbow lift the whole sucker up and off. It's freekin heavy but i am trying to save you a carb gasket. and elbow gasket.

I am also trying to save you from removing the elbow and possibly breaking a bolt.

Post back what you find.

We will go from there.

This ain't my first rodeo just went thru this stuff but with a different problem on a 94' 3.0l. His head went then we discovered the manifold went. Luck was on his side cause when we bought the used reconditioned head there was a brand new manifold attached.

Saltwater is a byatch !
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
            X