Beeping started, then stopped-gctid402463

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beeping started, then stopped-gctid402463

Yesterday I was out on the lake [anchored] all day. I used up quite a bit of juice from the house battery. When we were ready to go, I turned my battery switch to the crank battery like I always do. The engine fired right up, except my dash would beep every second. The same loud beep that you get a few times when you turn the ignition to on in many of the Bayliners. I looked at all my gauges, and both the oil pressure and temperature gauges were in the proper positions. After about 30 seconds and constant beeping, I turned the boat off and waited a minute or so. I then turned the boat back on and the beeping went away. I then proceeded to cruise for about 30 minutes at my normal cruising speed (~30mph) with no issues. Any idea what may have happened?

Note: I had this beeping happen once before and it was due to overheating. The temp gauge was a bit past the 4/5 point. It was due to a bad impeller which I replaced last October. I don't think that's the case here.

The alarm monitors hi engine temp, lo oil pressure and low oil level in the outdrive oil resivoir. Check its level. May be right at the alarm point.

Comment

notatthebottom wrote:
      The alarm monitors hi engine temp, lo oil pressure and low oil level in the outdrive oil resivoir. Check its level. May be right at the alarm point.
      Thanks for the help. This is a dumb question, but I am still learning. Where is my outdrive oil reservoir located? Pictures would be helpful =)

I will pick up some 90W Gear Oil at West Marine this weekend:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0#.UCVg9J2PWOY

Comment

Often it is located / mounted on the transom. That is where mine is, between the engines.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

On my 2000 2452 Ciera it is on the right front side of the engine on a bracket
          Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

KnoxBoater wrote:
            Thanks for the help. This is a dumb question, but I am still learning. Where is my outdrive oil reservoir located? Pictures would be helpful =)

I will pick up some 90W Gear Oil at West Marine this weekend:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0#.UCVg9J2PWOY
            I have the same year engine and drive. When you open your hatch and facing aft, the reservoir will be close to you on your right, top part of the engine. I prefer the Mercury Quicksilver High Performance gear lube.
            Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ
            |
            Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
            2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
            2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
            2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
            2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
            And 12 others...
            In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

it might have beeped just because the voltage was low and the sensors were fooled. that happens to me sometimes when my house battery is low

just my 2cents

Glen
              Glen Sherwood
              1987 3270 twin 305’s
              Coupeville, WA

Comment

On carbureted engines, only three things causes the alarm to sound: low leg oil level at the reservoir, coolant too hot and low oil pressure. Mercs of that year will also cut power to the fuel pump if oil pressure is too low. Again ... all of this applies to carbureted engines only.

On fuel injected engines like yours, the pattern of beeps translates into engine trouble codes relating to the engine management system of sensors that controls fuel delivery.

I have a manual, I'll try to look it up for you later.

Comment

The Bravo drives must have the high-performance synthetic lube, not regular. DO NOT use the one you linked to!

This is the one:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0#.UCZ3uMhktAM

Comment

I went out to my boat today and investigated the gear oil reservoir. It was NEARLY EMPTY so I topped it off with some performance 90W gear oil. (The marina provided me with the oil, as they said it was the ideal oil for the Bravo 3). The alarm went away.

SwampNut, I used this: (I hope it's a good fit)

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0#.UCcOQZ2PUkR

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Next question is why was it that low?

Was it not properly filled / drained before?

Is there a leak? If so, where?

Comment

makonnen wrote:
                        Next question is why was it that low?

Was it not properly filled / drained before?

Is there a leak? If so, where?
                        Good question. I had the boat serviced for an annual oil change (outdrive oil and engine oil) this May. They drained it and then flled to top. I will monitor the levels closely over the next few weeks. If it lowers, i'll have to have it pulled out to diagnose and repair.

I'm kinda expecting that :/ I'm not sure how else it would be so low so soon without a leak present.

Comment

All the Bravo 3 drives I've had need more fluid added after a service, they say it's air pockets. A former dealer used to give me a tube for this, now I just keep drive oil on the boats. So top up the reservoir, and you should be fine til your next service.
                          Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                          Lake Havasu City, AZ
                          |
                          Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                          2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                          2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                          2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                          2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                          And 12 others...
                          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Working...
                          X