Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VP275 mated to 350

Hi All..

New member , but have used this forum as a great resource during my 2 yr rebuild of a 84 2850 "OHOH" contessa command bridge.
    As purchased, it was set up with a frozen/cracked 350 mated to a VP275 with a 2.15 ratio and a 14x21 prop.
    Question is, will I have issues if I go with the same set up?
    I am not looking to have a speed boat, just cruising around. I don't want to blow up this mint shape outdrive because its being over powered.

Thanks

V8 ratio VPs are 1.61. A 2.15 ratio is not correct, and the prop is definitely wrong - you need a 15 inch diameter minimum....some VP drives can swing 16 inch props, and on a 2850 you need diameter.

I would start with a 15x16 or a 16x15 and see how you do.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Don't know VP at all but If your still in the engine planning stage I'd go with a 383 SBC.
      and welcome to the club
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
        Don't know VP at all but If your still in the engine planning stage I'd go with a 383 SBC.
        and welcome to the club
        Joon makes an excellent point. If you are repowering, a 2850 is a great boat to add power to. I also suggest a 383 for this boat.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Originally posted by Download_Complete View Post

Joon makes an excellent point. If you are repowering, a 2850 is a great boat to add power to. I also suggest a 383 for this boat.
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
            Nauti_Mike commented
            Editing a comment
            Wait Joon/Dave?

Now I am really confused.

Thanks for the replies. I think I may have misinformed about the outdrive. Just checked stamp on upper gear housing plate and indicates 270D. I also checked stamp on prop shaft bearing housing and it is marked 2.15.
          Hmmm, the 383 is comparable in pricing. Got me thinking now.
          Please excuse....I'm and old sailboat racing guy and now like the idea of turning a key and going.

Comment

270D is 2.15 : 1, 270B - 1.61 : 1, 270C - 1.89 : 1.
            looks like someone slapped a wrong ratio on it.
            OHC 4 cylinder is 2.15 : 1
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post

Good idea Joon. Should have painted my stripe red
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I figured something wasn't right with this. Would it be feasible to change the lower gear set to 290?

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Good idea Joon. Should have painted my stripe red
                  Obviously I replied by avatar and not usernames. Sorry for the mixup Dave and Joon. Was multitasking at the time.
                  Matt Train
                  BOC Site Team
                  Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Originally posted by dbenn View Post
                    I figured something wasn't right with this. Would it be feasible to change the lower gear set to 290?

First off, all VP drives from this vintage are strong drives, and the uppers are mostly interchangeable. So are the lowers for that matter, in that you can mix and match them. Your 1984 Contessa should have had a 280 series drive when it was new. The gearset is completely separate from the outdrive model - 270s, 275s, 280s, and 290s have a whole series of gearsets matched by engine. You appear to have a 4 cylinder gearset, which someone tried to compensate for with a different prop.

You need the right gearset in this boat, and you currently don't have it. A 2850 is a marginal boat that requires everything optimized for best performance, so you have a great opportunity to do a full repower here while being able to resell your current drive to finance an upgrade.

What I would do is a marine-built 383 mated to a DuoProp outdrive. It should be a direct swap on to your upper VP right now, and all you need to do is source a big block DP lower unit/drive (I think it's 1.71?)

Do a 383 and a DP, and you will have a good performing boat that will raise the resale value considerably.
                    Matt Train
                    BOC Site Team
                    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Originally posted by Download_Complete View Post

First off, all VP drives from this vintage are strong drives, and the uppers are mostly interchangeable. So are the lowers for that matter, in that you can mix and match them. Your 1984 Contessa should have had a 280 series drive when it was new. The gearset is completely separate from the outdrive model - 270s, 275s, 280s, and 290s have a whole series of gearsets matched by engine. You appear to have a 4 cylinder gearset, which someone tried to compensate for with a different prop.

You need the right gearset in this boat, and you currently don't have it. A 2850 is a marginal boat that requires everything optimized for best performance, so you have a great opportunity to do a full repower here while being able to resell your current drive to finance an upgrade.

What I would do is a marine-built 383 mated to a DuoProp outdrive. It should be a direct swap on to your upper VP right now, and all you need to do is source a big block DP lower unit/drive (I think it's 1.71?)

Do a 383 and a DP, and you will have a good performing boat that will raise the resale value considerably.
                      +1
                      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                      93 3058 sold
                      92 2855 (day boat)
                      Longbranch WA
                      Life is Good

Comment

Very good suggestions. Heading out this weekend to purchase a damaged Sun Runner 32 for parts. Dual engines, 1 needs rebuild and dual Volvo DP outdrives. $2000.00. Lady does not know what's in it for engines, but still going to buy for the outdrives.

Comment

Originally posted by dbenn View Post
                          Very good suggestions. Heading out this weekend to purchase a damaged Sun Runner 32 for parts. Dual engines, 1 needs rebuild and dual Volvo DP outdrives. $2000.00. Lady does not know what's in it for engines, but still going to buy for the outdrives.
                          If that Sunrunner has 290 series transom shields, might not be a bad idea to yank the transom shield and retrofit it to your 2850 to gain power trim and tilt.
                          Matt Train
                          BOC Site Team
                          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
                          X