Wiring a bilge pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring a bilge pump

My bilge pump is wired directly to the posts of Battery 1.
    I've added Battery 2, a Perko MBSS and a West Marine Combiner. Either battery will power everything (no house or start battery) and the Combiner charges whichever battery needs it and isolates a weak battery from a good battery.
    How to wire the bilge pump so it will be powered by either battery regardless of MBSS position?
    1998 Capri 1950CL
    3 Liter MerCruiser
    Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
    2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

The bilge pump float should be wired directly to only one battery typically Bat 1. The Manual pump switch at the helm should be wired to the switched terminal of the MBSS so that it gets power from either battery depending on the switch position.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

If it is only wired directly to one battery and that battery runs down, the pump stops working. I thought it should be powered by either battery regardless of MBSS position.
      1998 Capri 1950CL
      3 Liter MerCruiser

Comment

If the pump is running enough to drain one battery it will drain the second as well. Note if this happens you have a big issue that the pump probably could not keep up with anyway or you have left the boat uncheck for a very long time.

Mike

Comment

Agree with Mike. With both batteries being equal it won't matter what bank supplies the power to the float swith. If one bank has a larger amp hour rating (as in multiple batteries) then that's the one that should supply the power to the float switch. Also agree the bilge should basically be dry most of the time.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by wgander View Post
            My bilge pump is wired directly to the posts of Battery 1.
            I've added Battery 2, a Perko MBSS and a West Marine Combiner. Either battery will power everything (no house or start battery) and the Combiner charges whichever battery needs it and isolates a weak battery from a good battery.
            How to wire the bilge pump so it will be powered by either battery regardless of MBSS position?
            Your question is a bit vague! If you mean "bilge pump should be powered by both batteries, at all times" this can't be done! as it means the two batteries would be wired together via the bilge pump. If you mean "It doesn't matter which battery powers the bilge pump but it should be powered at all times regardless of the MBSS position" this is the regular way it is done.Typically the bilge pump is powered via the house battery (not the engine battery) and since the batteries are already connected to the MBSS the connection to the bilge pump is taken from the post of the MBSS (that is connected to the house battery) rather than using the house battery post directly.

Retired, computer expert / executive
            Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
            Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
            D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
            bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
            bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
              Nauti_Mike commented
              Editing a comment
              The OP has a 1950 CL with a 3.0 engine so no house battery.

if you want the pump wired to both batteries, and yet keep the batterys isolated from one another, you will need to connect the bilge pump BATT wire thru diodes..... one diode on each battery feed and then combined together on the bilge pump batt wire... not such a good idea though.

I agree with the others that the bilge pump should be connected only to the house battery... the engine start batt should not supply power to ANYTHING except the start circuit.... because the house batt can go completely dead, and the engine can still be started so the house batt can be recharged... if the START batt is dead, you are SOL....

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I don't have a house or start battery: they are identical batteries and either can power everything. I usually alternate which one I select to run on.
              I meant that I wanted the pump to be powered by either battery, regardless of MBSS position,
              My thinking was that if the battery powering the pump failed, the other battery would power it.
              I don't want to mess with diodes, so I guess I'll just leave it connected to Battery 1.
              What would be the advantage of connecting it to the Battery 1 post of the MBSS?
              1998 Capri 1950CL
              3 Liter MerCruiser

Comment

Originally posted by wgander View Post
                I don't have a house or start battery: they are identical batteries and either can power everything. I usually alternate which one I select to run on.
                I meant that I wanted the pump to be powered by either battery, regardless of MBSS position,
                My thinking was that if the battery powering the pump failed, the other battery would power it.
                I don't want to mess with diodes, so I guess I'll just leave it connected to Battery 1.
                What would be the advantage of connecting it to the Battery 1 post of the MBSS?
                there is no advantage of connecting it directly to the mbss post, rather than just to the closest battery+ post..... other than it keeps the spider web of wiring at the battery to a minimum.
                if you were to get an ACR and connect it in, which is extremely simple, both batteries would charge all the time with the engine running, regardless of what switch position you used.... and then the bilge pump would be connected to a fully charged battery no matter if you forget to change the switch over or not.... a shore power charger with dual leads will keep them topped up when at the dock, but if you spend nights on the hook, its good to keep one battery fully charged at all times...

the only other way to connect the bilge pump to to both batteries, but still isolated from each other is with a "double throw single pole" toggle switch.... the switch could be the "on-on" style or the "on-off-on" style...
                the bilge pump wire to the center terminal, and each battery connected to one of the outside terminals... this way you could switch the bilge pump to either battery you choose.

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                N2K equipped throughout..
                2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Do you trailer the boat or does it stay in the water? If it stays in the water is it connected to shore power?

if trailered or on shore power I would leave it as is.

Mike

Comment

You could add another bilge pump. One on each battery. 1 dead battery, no problem. 1 dead bilge pump, no problem.
                    Esteban
                    Detroit, MI
                    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I'm a trailer boater, no shore power capability. I'll leave it the way it is.
                      1998 Capri 1950CL
                      3 Liter MerCruiser

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, what combiner did you purchase. I looked on West Marine and there were several brands and models. But none were West Marine Brand.
                        2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                        Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                        Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                        Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                        1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

I bought it in 2003. West Marine Combiner 143268, 12 volt, 50 amp.
                          Install sheet says Help: yandina.com/combiner; tech email tech@yandina
                          T think it was about $50

1998 Capri 1950CL
                          3 Liter MerCruiser

Comment

Working...
                          X