Volvo 280 Outdrive Vibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo 280 Outdrive Vibration

Hi everyone, I will apologize in advanced for possibly starting this post in the wrong spot as this is my first post.

I have a 2860 Hardtop Trophy that's powered by a Volvo aq260(350 GM) with a 280 duo prop outdrive. I'm having some vibration when I'm running at speed. It goes away at slow speeds and idle or neutral. The vibration isn't bad by any means but it's still there and I'm not one for letting things get worse.

My first thought went to the U-Joints or PDS but it's not making any of the noises that I'd expect to hear when turning and the vibration goes away at slow speeds. After digging around looking for something to be out of place I noticed that I have a bit of play in the outdrive when I try rocking it from left to right. If I hold the back of the outdrive and kind of rock it from left to right I can see some play in the helmet and yoke area and it has a bit more play in there than I was expecting to find. I think that I might have some bushings that might be wearing out.

Has anyone else had vibrations caused by loose or warn parts in the yoke helmet area?

Thanks,
    Bill

Back and forth slop is common in these VP drives, especially at these ages. So it isn't that, or rather, if it is, then something is causing the drive to shimmy back and forth. Under load, the drive will be balanced during thrust and will not shake back and forth.

I mention this because I experienced the same issue in my 2450 with a Volvo drive, and I confirmed it by having someone hang over the transom and look at the drive....you could see it shimmying back and forth in a high frequency. THe prop looked fine upon inspection and I ran it for most of one season. Then one day, I went to get up on plane and I spun the hub on the prop and nearly blew the engine because it happened mid-plane.

Once I replaced the prop with a new one, the boat was significantly smoother with no side to side vibration, again confirmed by someone hanging over the back.

So that's my recommendation: Replace the prop first and see what happens. IF you still have a vibration, then obviously more digging is required..
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

X2 on a prop. It doesn’t take much to throw one off.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Thanks, that's a great idea. I haven't really given the prop much more than a visual inspection. I should take it off and at least give it some grease and a good look. I'll take a closer look at it and let you guys know what I see.

I did the same hanging off the back thing before I winterized her. I had a buddy with me and I had him drive while I went back to inspect the back of the boat. I wasn't able to see the top of the drive but it did feel more like a balance thing than a bearing thing to me.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

The prop I had was old. The blades were in fine shape, but the hub blowout was telling me that the rubber hub was deteriorated. The boat didn't see much use until I bought it, and then I ran the living hell out of it. So naturally, the increased use exposed weaknesses in the drivetrain from sitting so long. When I removed the prop, it had rubber shavings all over the splines. And I think the deteriorated rubber caused an out-of-balance situation that accelerated the hub failure.

That's what I think is wrong with your boat. I do not think removing and reinstalling the SAME prop will fix the issue. I think you need to test a brand new prop to see if it's still vibrating.
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Yes sir, taking them off and back on sure wouldn't accomplish much. I meant to say that I was going to run them down to the prop shop to have them checked out. Since I have a DuoProp (and they are kind of expensive) I was thinking that I'd have someone look them over before I buy and new set.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the good idea Matt!

Bill

Comment

I know that it's been a while since we all talked about this but I don't like leaving these things unanswered. A new set of props did the fix. One of my two props was right on the edge of hub failure. Was a long winter here in Alaska so I didn't get her out until June. When I did I was able to reproduce the vibrations right away. Then within a few miles of getting out the prop that was having problems finally spun. Having a duoprop I was able to get back to the launch without any problems at hull speed.

Now with the new set of props installed the vibration completely went away.

Thanks for all of your guys input and suggestions.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X