Touchy Throttle-gctid402323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchy Throttle-gctid402323

Guys I need some help on this issue. I'm fairly new to boating life, but I've been wrenching on stuff most of my life. Recently bouth a 95 Capri with a 7.4 motor. The motor runs good, its a little hard to start after it's warm but that's nothing a carb rebulid won't fix I think. The big problem I'm having is the with the throttle tension. As you are coming up to speed or slowing down to a towing speed after getting someone on plane, the throttle will seem like nothing is happening as I'm reducing my speed then it gets to a point where it all of a sudden just chops down and I then have to give it more throttle to bring it back to my crusing speed. Is there some kind of adjustment I can make to fix this or should I put a heavier spring on the carb for the throttle return to offset it?

Your input will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

No input from anyone?

Comment

The problem with a boat is once it drops off plane it expontially slows down as it falls farther into the water. The trick is slow down without coming off plane. It takes practice .

Some boats are more particular than others. Work on tappinv the throttle down give it a few seconds to let it respond and adjust accordingly
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

It might also be a loose throttle cable. Make sure there is no slop in the cable at the carb.

Even the slightest movement at the helm should move the throttle at the carb. If it doesn't there might be too much slop. If there is a lot of slop you might not be getting full throttle either.

Comment

Sounds like the throttle cable needs to be replaced. Check its motion with the boat stopped and the engine cover open. Does it move smoothly?

Comment

Working...
          X