feels like slipping out of gear-gctid402287

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feels like slipping out of gear-gctid402287

yesterday in my 1987 25' ciera while coming home from put in bay i was having som difficulty getting up on plane so i had my 3 guests move up to the front of the cabin to disperse the weight as soon as we picked up speed all of a sudden the motor reved up and we were going no where. so i throttle back, put here in neutral and check to make sure we arent sinking or burning ( we arent). so i shift her back into forward and gently throttle up, and after it starts to get going it happens again, i can idle forward and go a little above idle but not much above so i decide to not tempt fate and bringher back at about 5 kts. i havent checked anything yet other than to make sure there is no water coming in because we had to get home but has anyone ever had something like this happen before? i did change the prop the prevous week with one i found in the boat and it drove a little slower but the new prop looked to be slightly smaller and looked to be a slightly sharper pitch.

LakeLiner wrote:
    i did change the prop the prevous week with one i found in the boat and it drove a little slower but the new prop looked to be slightly smaller and looked to be a slightly sharper pitch.
    Either a spun prop hub, or the slightly sharper pitch is allowing the prop to slip against the water (although not as likely, IMO).

Mark the inner and outer prop hubs against one another, and try it again, see if the marks change position........ or, put the original prop back on.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

My vote is a spun hub. You can have it rehubbed if it's not aluminum. The rehub process will often break an aluminum prop. A reputable shop will tell you they are not responsible if it breaks.

Vic

Ft Myers
      Vic Stewart SN
      Past Commander
      Cape Fear Power Squadron
      Ft Myers Power Squadron
      1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
      Raw water cooled

Comment

LakeLiner wrote:
        yesterday in my 1987 25' ciera while coming home from put in bay i was having som difficulty getting up on plane so i had my 3 guests move up to the front of the cabin to disperse the weight as soon as we picked up speed all of a sudden the motor reved up and we were going no where. so i throttle back, put here in neutral and check to make sure we arent sinking or burning ( we arent). so i shift her back into forward and gently throttle up, and after it starts to get going it happens again, i can idle forward and go a little above idle but not much above so i decide to not tempt fate and bringher back at about 5 kts. i havent checked anything yet other than to make sure there is no water coming in because we had to get home but has anyone ever had something like this happen before? i did change the prop the prevous week with one i found in the boat and it drove a little slower but the new prop looked to be slightly smaller and looked to be a slightly sharper pitch.
        It sounds like you haven't pulled the boat yet, so I'll give one thought. Simpler answer depending on what area you were in - this has happened to me 3 times where it was seaweed/plants caught in the prop. It becomes noticeable when you leave somewhere because at low speeds it does not cavitate so the prop still seems normal, then when you go to get on plane you get the cavitation.

When this happens, simply throwing it in reverse usually clears the crap off.

Comment

definately try the old prop to see if it goes away, that is the cheapest and easiest solution, it could be a spun prop, a coupler or the gears going out in the outdrive, my bet a spun prop, cheapest solution spun prop, easiest thing to change spun prop, get my drift lol, change props even if you have to borrow 1

Comment

gonna pull the prop later this week and see what the damage is, ill also put the old prop back on if i can

Comment

Sounds like a spun prop. Certain props have a do it yourself hub. Real easy to do this style otherwise off to the prop shop.

Comment

Spun hub, easy and relatively easy to fix - switch out the prop for another one. You can have the spun one rebubbed fairly cheaply.
                Matt Train
                BOC Site Team
                Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
                X