Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cockpit hardtop, fully extended trim tabs and bow riding high

Hi Folks,

My 3288 has the hardtop cockpit cover along with a fully fiberglass dinghy. As you can imagine the combination of the two is considerably heavy and causes the stern to squat a bit. What I'm finding is (or at least it seems to me) that when running with the trim tabs fully extended the bow still rides a bit high and I'm wondering if lengthening the trim tabs would help with this problem or not.

If any of you have the same or similar set up and have found a way to overcome this issue I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
    US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
    MMSI: 338181912

I have the same setup so my stern also squats down. I decided to optimize the storage under the v berth storing a spare anchor and other things. It seemed to help a bit. Are you confident that your tabs are remaining extended ie, not losing pressure in the rams?
    1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
    previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

I had thought of adding some weight to the bow to help compensate, I do have a spare anchor and rode I could put up there but I imagine the hardtop weighs a couple hundred pounds at least.

I rebuilt the system about tow years ago replacing all the O-rings in each ram and I haven't spotted any leaks anywhere but it never hurts to check.

Paul

Comment

Some have used shims on the tabs to make them go lower. That might work for you.
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I'm in the process of adding a windlass and all chain rode so perhaps that will add enough weight at the bow to help counteract the weight of the cockpit cover but I'll definitely keep shims in mind as an option.

Paul

Comment

200ft of chain will certainly help. Spare anchor with chain and rode in the deck locker also.
            But keep in mind that your swim platform is probably as water soaked as was your pulpit.
            CapMartin, Montr├®al
            "Belle de Dalhousie"
            1986 3270
            Volvo BB225B

Comment

Thanks CapMartin. When I bought the boat it had spent most of it's life in dry moorage where I kept it the first two years. I did check the swim platform when she was out of the water and it seemed solid and when I pulled out all the station and ladder bolts to reseal them I didn't find any moisture. The pulpit on the other hand was split along it's seams and the core was exposed.

Paul

Comment

A friend of mine had a 3988, which by nature, squats quite a bit even without a hardtop. He added two more trim tabs and said it drastically improved; I may do the same in the future.
                Alex
                Orange County, Ca.
                2001 3988
                Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

call Bennett trim tabs. Go to the largest ones which can fit. My friend had a 2859 with the 200 HP diesel. Manual sad not to run over 3000 RPM continuously. The boat squatted badly at that speed (about 14 knots). He went from a 18X9" tab to a 30X12. AT 3000, the boat runs level and at about 18 Knots. For those who dispute the original data, he had a dinghy; 3 KW diesel genny, and 2 sets of gold cart batteries @ 78# each.
                  Bennett can help you, I am sure.
                  Captharv 2001 2452
                  "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

While not the same issue or boat, Going to 24 x 9 tabs, I picked up almost 5 mph on a 28 Contessa. Also reworked the mounting points so they were parallel to the flow. On some boats with rounded or angled off tansoms, the tabs act like speed brakes, by lowering on an angle to the water flow.
                    1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
                    In over my head for sure!!
                    M/V SKUA refit
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ak-gctid499442

Comment

Extending or changing the trim tabs is definitely an option I will need to consider for sure and the BOC member TabMan works at Bennett so will be helpful if or when I get to that stage in finding a solution.

The first step will be getting my windlass, anchor roller, and anchor with chain mounted. The anchor chain alone (200ft of 5/16 G4) weights in at ~220 lbs. plus probably another ~50 lbs. of anchor, roller, and windlass. And whatever the final weight of my spare anchor and rode is which will either go in the bow storage under the v-berth or in the locker on the deck. 300 or so pounds added back to the bow will definitely bring the bow down some. If it will get it where I want it remains to be seen.

I'd love to trade my dinghy for an inflatable, it seems like that would lessen the weight of the stern a little bit and be a little easier to move around as well.

Paul

Comment

Does your 3288 have the 4 tab set up like this one?

bayliner-3288-motoryacht-749211

If not adding the 2 inboard ones is the easiest way to add lift.

Tom
                        Bennett Marine
                        sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

• O1dSoldier
                          O1dSoldier commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do have the 4 trim tabs just like in the picture.

If you have Tabs like the ones in the photo, then there is nothing we can really recommend.

Tom
                        Bennett Marine
                        sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

• O1dSoldier
                          O1dSoldier commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ok. Hopefully getting the weight of the anchor, rode, and windlass up there will resolve the trim issues.

are the tabs moving when the switch is activated? maybe a pump failure. if the tabs are full down and the bow is still high, it would cause the boat to be abnormally sluggish...

NU LIBERTE'
                        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                        5.7 OMC Cobra
                        N2K equipped throughout..

Comment

• O1dSoldier
                          O1dSoldier commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The tabs function as they are supposed to.

My 3818 did the stern squat during the sea trial so one of the first things we did was add 500 pounds in the bow. That alone made a huge difference. I extended the trim tabs 6” with a bolt on test addition and that helped but not as much as adding the weight to the bow. The steel I used was supposed to be stainless, but, apparently not so much, so lm going to replace them with 316 Stainless.
                        P/C Pete
                        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
                        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                        MMSI 367770440
                        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
                        X