Prop pitch change impact-gctid402240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop pitch change impact-gctid402240

How much of a reduction of WOT RPMs might I expect to see if I were to switch from 17 3/4" x 21, 3 blade aluminum props to 18 1/4" x 22, 4 blade stainless steel props?

you have a few things AGAINST you here...the bigger blade, more pitch AND an extra blade. Regardless of the RPM drop (which is hard to tell because of the Diamater AND pitch changes), you could make a real pig getting outta the hole. I think your supposed to drop pitch when going to a 4 blade, not go up in pitch. Going up in pitch and Diameter seems like the wrong thing to do unless you are way under propped now. I actually went down a bit in diameter, added a 4th blade, and kept the same pitch. If I went up in pitch or diameter, my performance outta the hole would have been horrible.

just my humble opinion.

Comment

....bought them at a great price several years ago for back-up, thought they might decrease performance so I've never used them. I understand stainless steel pretty difficult to re-pitch. Any thoughts about that?

Comment

I just dropped off a MW Rapture stainless prop at a place and they said they could make it lose 3-400 RPM. That is about 2 inches of pitch change. It is currently a 17 pitch. He said he'd rather change pitch on a stainless steel prop than an aluminum prop.

Comment

CieraBill wrote:
          ....bought them at a great price several years ago for back-up, thought they might decrease performance so I've never used them. I understand stainless steel pretty difficult to re-pitch. Any thoughts about that?
          Talk to a well known prop shop about re-pitching and I think you will be pleased on what he says. You also said you got the props at a good price,that should help your decision.

Comment

Working...
          X