trailer axle pro(39)s and con(39)s-gctid402233

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trailer axle pro(39)s and con(39)s-gctid402233

Smoked a bearing today. Ruined the spindle... Should i buy a spindle at a local co-op or get whole new axle? Also if i buy the weld on i can do this myself 100% no problem, but did notice tractor supply has hub to hub axles round tubes(mines square) cheap, but there sealed bearings is this gonna be marine sufficient. Or go w the greasable axles....

If we knew where you are, I could have you pick a new axle up from me... I have a brand new one that I never installed.

Try putting boat info in your signature and maybe trailer info... there are many types... Spindles can be replaced but I think the axle is a better way to go and probably less expensive in the long run...

http://www.easternmarine.com/2-Squar...300-023524-10/
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
      If we knew where you are, I could have you pick a new axle up from me... I have a brand new one that I never installed.

Try putting boat info in your signature and maybe trailer info... there are many types... Spindles can be replaced but I think the axle is a better way to go and probably less expensive in the long run...

http://www.easternmarine.com/2-Squar...300-023524-10/
      Is that link to the axle you have or just an example of possibilities? What kind of axle do you have. galvanized?

Comment

jd higgins wrote:
        Smoked a bearing today. Ruined the spindle...
        • 1 wrote:
        • Should i buy a spindle at a local co-op or get whole new axle?
        • Also if i buy the weld on i can do this myself 100% no problem,
        • but did notice tractor supply has hub to hub axles round tubes (mines square) cheap,
        • but there sealed bearings is this gonna be marine sufficient.
        • Or go w the greasable axles....

• 1 wrote:
        • An entire new axle would be the way to go. These are not as expensive as one may think.

New everything; spindles, hubs, bearings, seals, studs/nuts, brakes, the alignment is pre-set....... she'll be all ready to go!
        • Companies that build trailer axles are no doubt certified as for the welding portion, since this equipment involves the use of our transportation systems.

They are also equipped with machinery to form the axle into the correct alignment (Toe In/Out and Camber).
        • Round or square.... makes no difference to me, but one or the other may fit your application better.
        • This does not imply Marine use to me. Sealed bearings are typically NOT tapered roller bearings.
        • Greasable axles as in EZ Lube/Sure Lube/Super Lube??? Not Bearing Buddies, correct?

If yes, that's the way to go these days.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Fish-a-Palooza wrote:
          Is that link to the axle you have or just an example of possibilities? What kind of axle do you have. galvanized?
          I have that axle and the url is of the exact one. I can take a photo of it if needed. One end is still wrapped from the factory and the other is open to see the spindle. It is galvanized and I am looking at $400 for it if picked up. I think it is around $125 to ship...
          Doug ;}
          MMSI: 338068776
          "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Here's another option ($550) in Sequim, WA -- http://olympic.craigslist.org/boa/3099720766.html

Comment

Having done this a few times, all youneed to know is your flange to flange inner diamater (IE: Width), the spring perch to spring perch width (little cylindrical knob width) and the weight capability (3500, 6000, 7000). Do you have 10 or 12" drums (10 is usually 3500, 12s for 6000 or higher). Then call a trailer guy. Non galv around here is about 250, galv is about 150 higher. I usually go cheap because the bearing sufaces usually go before the integrity of the axle goes.

Remember u-bolts 'cause you'll probably have to cut the onld ones off.

Chay

Comment

+1 Chay

Comment

Working...
                X