When should the refrigerator turn on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When should the refrigerator turn on?

The refrigerator in my 2556 turns on any time the battery switch is on, or if I've plugged into shore power. There's a "refrigerator" switch in the shore power panel, but it doesn't seem to do anything. If shore power is plugged in and turned on, the refrigerator turns on. This part doesn't really bug me since shore power is essentially free.

But it running off the battery does. Some trips we don't bring along anything that needs refrigeration, so it's just sucking power unnecessarily from the batteries. Is it supposed to be wired like this? There is no refrigerator switch on the DC panel.
    1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

I don’t know about the switching on your boat, but every 12/110v fridge I’ve ever owned has had an off/on switch some inside, usually on or near the thermostat.
    Hope this helps
    Drew Haas
    1988 3818 "Painkiller"

Comment

The refrigerator should turn on if there is AC power (shore or on-board generator) provided that its dedicated switch is turned on at the AC control panel. If no AC is present (either there is no AC or the switch is turned off) the the fridge will come on if DC is available. In other words, the fridge works on AC power, if available, and uses DC power if AC is not available; If both AC and DC are available, it will run on AC power. In your case, check if DC power is available (i.e. battery switch is on or off) when the AC power becomes turned off.
      Retired, computer expert / executive
      Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
      Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
      D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
      bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
      bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

• jmcajmca
        jmcajmca commented
        Editing a comment

If your fridge doesn’t have an on/off switch, try turning the temp control all the way off, past zero. There is a little resistance at zero, go past that. That will turn it off regardless of power source.
      "Impasse". 2001 3988
      Cummins 330's
      Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

if the fridge is a 12v model, it will have a switch on it... unless the switch failed and someone bypassed it and discarded the switch, which seems likely. because... the fact that the switch at the power panel doesnt work either kinda leads us to think that someone worked on the circuits and wasnt fully prepared to repair the problem correctly, but only wanted the fridge to operate...

NU LIBERTE'
        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
        N2K equipped throughout..
        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Agree there should be a switch inside the fridge. Mine is Above the thermostat controle which is located inside at the upper right corner next to the freezer compartment.
          As for the AC breaker not turning the fridge off:
          when you disrupt AC power to the fridge the DC side takes over as long as the switch inside the fridge is on.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Not sure of your refer brand, but on my Norcold the off switch is a position on the thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by richardson View Post
              Not sure of your refer brand, but on my Norcold the off switch is a position on the thermostat.
              +1
              bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
              bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

Not sure how the 2556 is set up. My 2665 Sunbridge (1998) has auto switching between AC/12V. If AC is present it uses the 110V. If not it uses 12V. Mine didn't work on 12V when we bought it. I looked around under the dash and found a large red wire not connected. Checked the schematics and found the correct fuse on the block and plugged it in. Voila.....it worked (as long as there is 12V available (battery switched). I also have two "spare" switches at the dash. I suspect one of those could be used provided they are rated to the amperage required. But I just use the internal switch in the fridge as Richardson mentioned as most of our trips are day only and we just take a small cooler. PO had never used the reefer (or microwave or stove or Air Conditioner.) and we haven't either (yet).
                1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
                "Sea Flights"
                5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition
                Alpha I Gen II Sterndrive with raw water cooling
                MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
                Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

I keep my refrigerator off all the time unless I need to use it. I turn the switch inside the refrigerator all the way counterclockwise to the off position and keep the door open ajar. I figure keep it off will extend the life of the unit. I don't know whether you need to turn it on once in a while to lubricate the system like a car's air conditioning system.

Joe
                  1986 2850 Commend Bridge on hydrohoist
                  A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit

Comment

I am the same as JM. Our fridge is off when we are not on board. This seems to be a good strategy as my 1988 2455 has the original fridge. I hope I did not jix it for next summer!
                    Bill and Janice
                    Chatham, Ontario, Canada
                    1988 2455 Ciera

Comment

If your shorepower is free, id leave the fridge on. I leave mine on all the time at dock, so that when i want to use it on 12v it doesnt take soo long to cool down and use battery power in the process. Also means your fridge is ready to go anytime you need it.
                      2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Comment

Originally posted by peachypete82 View Post
                        If your shorepower is free, id leave the fridge on. I leave mine on all the time at dock, so that when i want to use it on 12v it doesnt take soo long to cool down and use battery power in the process. Also means your fridge is ready to go anytime you need it.

This is OK as long as the marina never loses power, the shore power CBs never trip, or your boat will never be accidentally disconnected from shore power. In my case my boat was disconnected from shore power by someone. The refrigerator automatically switched to 12 VDC and ran for a few days until the batteries got too low. The deep discharge ruined over $1000 worth of house batteries. Since then I never leave the refrigerator on when I am away from the marina for more than a day.
                        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                        Anacortes, WA

Comment

• peachypete82
                          peachypete82 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          very true... i live about 400 meters from my marina, and its the daily dog walking route so we walk past and check daily. The marina does offer these power devices that you can plug inline with your shore power that will txt you if its been unplugged, as it happened to a few people at our marine, they charge $50 per month for them. Not a bad idea if its difficult to get to. Also means your batteries are always charged for your bilge pumps in case the worst happens

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

This is OK as long as the marina never loses power, the shore power CBs never trip, or your boat will never be accidentally disconnected from shore power. In my case my boat was disconnected from shore power by someone. The refrigerator automatically switched to 12 VDC and ran for a few days until the batteries got too low. The deep discharge ruined over $1000 worth of house batteries. Since then I never leave the refrigerator on when I am away from the marina for more than a day.
                        So, that means your DC MAIN was left on! Why? When I leave my boat I turn off the DC MAIN OFF to cut DC to everything, except the directly wired CO Monitor, Bilge Pump and MerCathode (My radio's clock is not wired to permanent 12v). That way if AC is lost the fridges do not come on automatically.
                        bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                        bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

The reason why I want AC ON is that, as long as the boat is in the water MerCathode is active and consumes battery power; I need the AC so I can keep the battery charger on to charge the batteries as needed.
                          bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                          bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

Working...
                          X