NEED LEADS FOR DOUBLE SIDE LAMINATE GALLEY WALL MATERIAL LT BEIGE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED LEADS FOR DOUBLE SIDE LAMINATE GALLEY WALL MATERIAL LT BEIGE

Does anyone have a lead in the US where I can purchase the laminated both sides plywood used in 90's cruisers? I'm guessing they all pretty much had similar if not identical material. The top, bottom and both ends of the galley sliding door counter top storage/ A/C shore pwr control panel have rotted from a rub line leak in my 2655. The parts manual says it's "light beige but to save having to buy a whole sheet when I only need 2 ea. 12" x 48" and 2 ea 12" X 18" pieces approx. 9/16- 5/8" thick, I can be flexible with color but prefer something not too dark. Hoping someone may have previously done some interior remodeling and might have some leftovers I could buy. I'd gone below to start removing the Ash trim for sanding and re-staning when I discovered it.
    Looking for a reasonably priced cabinet assy OR "leftovers"  to make replacements (Marked in RED) I can buy from someone's completed project
    Dave
    N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
    1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
    Past:
    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
    West of Hickory NC

I'm starting to ponder going with a nicely grained hardwood and a light stain and brass weather gages and fittings on the fwd wall and brass countersunk screws to attach the ash trim instead of brads. Give her a lil "old skool" glamour......AFTER I re seal the rub rail channel!
    Dave
    Past:
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    West of Hickory NC

Comment

Dave, The double side laminate was probably a product built for Bayliner by a supplier as a specialty item. The edging is probably a T shaped plastic that the leg of the T slips into a dado in the panel. Standard stuff. You could replace it with about any type of plywood, oak, cherry, teak, whatever, then use an iron on edge banding or glue on some strips for edges and shape from there.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
        Dave, The double side laminate was probably a product built for Bayliner by a supplier as a specialty item. The edging is probably a T shaped plastic that the leg of the T slips into a dado in the panel. Standard stuff. You could replace it with about any type of plywood, oak, cherry, teak, whatever, then use an iron on edge banding or glue on some strips for edges and shape from there.
        I agree Pete. the edge strip was a glue-on. I saw the T extrusion online. The more I looked at the ash edge trim once sandd stained and shining now with a coat of spar varnish that the laminate just looked too "dated" Just got all the vertical stringers in both wing uprights glued and screwed so I'm off to LOWES to see what woodgrain I like. I'm going to use solid board...well a 4X4 ft sheet and last night started looking at how to router different edges when I stumbled across inlaying metals and might try inlaying 2 1/8" brass strips They get secured then sanded flat with the edge then stained and cleared. the images looked really neat and since I plan on brass angles, fittings and screws along with a couple of brass WX instruments and clock on the fwd facing end piece, I think inlaying will really make that unit stand out..... give the ol girl a bit of nostalgia and class!
        Dave
        Past:
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:
        West of Hickory NC

Comment

I haven’t tried doing inlay yet. I like the idea, but when I think about it I keep wanting to do some kind of geometric design. My wife does a lot of quilting and if I even think about using her tools, which would be the right ones to use, she gives me “that look”. I’m thinking about doing some of that when I recarpet too. Maybe some kind of a compass, our yacht Club burgee would probably limit the market when we have to swallow the anchor.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I mis-read their ad last night. The 4X4 ft pieces are Oak, Poplar, etc plywood. The rotten double laminate was ply and given the shape of every other piece of ply I've replaced, I chose Red Oak. 2ea foot by six ft boards, 3/4" thick. What I pulled out yesterday is more like 1/2". Very pronounced grain pattern. Just finished shaping the fwd end piece to match. While working that piece I kept thinking about inlaying. There were all sorts of compasses, metal, wood... Most were large in-floor designs. There was some impressive geo designs too. Luckily most of the fwd end plate's space will be taken up with an " old school" looking 3 gage WX station. In addition to that I'm swapping the visible interior L attach angles and anything else visible to brass. If I can borrow a router, I'm going to cut a 1/8" slot the length of the 3/4 edge and then inset about 3/4 in FROM the narrow edge and cut another slot ( slot depths TBD once I study the process more) and bed brass in both fwd and aft end plates. Time to begin surfing for brass widgets as Lowes doesn't have much.....
            Dave
            Past:
            Mariner 150
            Towing with:
            West of Hickory NC

Comment

Working...