Prop hub slipping or worse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post

set it on the bench and with a block of wood on the spline part, try to drive it out the back of the prop.... if its spun, it shouldnt take much pressure. solas props are made so that the consumer can change the hub themselves, but sometimes the rubber can become stuck and needs a bit of persuasion with a hammer. after the splines are out, a small scraper or screwdriver and wd-40 can be used to get any remaining rubber out of the prop.. the wd 40 is so it lubricates the rubber so its easier for the scraper to be worked thru and loosen the remaining rubber
    It is an Amita prop (non-removeable hub). If I can get myself a new rubber hub assembly I'll have a play with removing the old one as you describe. At the moment, I have sent a good 10 emails to see if anyone has a replacement hub. NB I have contacted Solas asking for advice and whether they can supply a hub. No reply over the weekend.
    Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
    1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
    MMSI 235061726

Comment

Warranty is a year.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_Alen View Post
        Warranty is a year.
        Thanks Chief.
        MMSI 235061726

Comment

I contacted Solas and they were very helpful. I nice person from Taiwan support basically said don't repair the fixed hub but buy a Rubex. So, with that I went out and bought a Michigan Wheels Vortex XHS 14" x 20" 4 blade. I got an amazing price from a shop called Coastal Rides. £134 + free carriage including the hub.
          MMSI 235061726

Comment

If you end up buying a new prop, get one that accepts the Flo-Torq hub. This way, if you smoke the hub, it's a $25 (USD) problem and a five minute fix versus a new prop.
            Mocoondo
            2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
            Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
            MMSI: 338091755

Comment

Originally posted by Mocoondo View Post
              If you end up buying a new prop, get one that accepts the Flo-Torq hub. This way, if you smoke the hub, it's a $25 (USD) problem and a five minute fix versus a new prop.
              rubex makes a quick change hub also... their hubs are about the same price, but different, so rubex and flo-torque are not interchangeable with each other..

NU LIBERTE'
              Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
              5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
              N2K equipped throughout..
              2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
              2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
              '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
              Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post

rubex makes a quick change hub also... their hubs are about the same price, but different, so rubex and flo-torque are not interchangeable with each other..
                I got the XHS hub with the Michigan Wheel. https://www.propellerdepot.com/michi...hs-202-hub-kit as recommended. Fingers crossed. Weather is to horrible here to try it out. Either gales or fog depending on the wind strength.
                MMSI 235061726

Comment

Originally posted by TerryW View Post

I got the XHS hub with the Michigan Wheel. https://www.propellerdepot.com/michi...hs-202-hub-kit as recommended. Fingers crossed. Weather is to horrible here to try it out. Either gales or fog depending on the wind strength.
                  the XHS hub is interchangeable with the mercury marine flo-torq... its a good choice.

NU LIBERTE'
                  Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                  5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                  N2K equipped throughout..
                  2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                  2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                  '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                  Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I had a similar issue years ago on a sea ray weekender. I was certain I'd spun the prop and put a spare on. I had the same problem with the spare which was really worrisome. I had switched props by sitting on the starboard side dock finger. What I"d missed was a chunk of wood on the port side had wedged itself between the top of the AV plate and the ram that tilts the drive. That was all that was needed to create an air pocket. Obviously the OP had a bad prop. This post is just a PSA to check the drive closely for this sort of issue.
                    Doug
                    Hanging Loose
                    98 Carver 350 Mariner
                    2013-
                    KRUSTY KRAB
                    2001 305
                    5.7 BII
                    2006-2013

Comment

So, I fitted the brand new spanking Michigan Wheel 14" x 20" 4 blade. It gives me 4650 RPM wide open throttle on glassy water which is great. However, the fuel consumption has gone up 15% over the 3 blade 15" x 17" Michigan wheel spare that I was using. The engine sounds louder because it is definitely working harder. I guess, I bought the wrong prop. I was avoiding Solas, went for the Michigan prop knowing it might be slightly too pitchy. I am advised that I can get the prop repitched to 19" but that will be quite expensive here in the UK. Probably not worth doing unless they can reduce the pitch to 18" which they can't do. Whoops . . .
                      MMSI 235061726

Comment

Mercruiser has an on line prop calculator that gives good results.
                        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
                          Mercruiser has an on line prop calculator that gives good results.
                          Yep Just tried it. It is saying 14.5 x 19 for a 4 blade prop. I bought a 14 x 20 thinking that was close. I took a gamble and lost. I'll get it on eBay and buy a 14.5 x 18 Vortex. My old Solas was 14.5 x 18 and I was really pleased with that ones performance. Shame it started to slip. Shame UK prop shops don't do exchanges by we don't get American levels of service over here.
                          MMSI 235061726

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                            Nauti_Mike commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Curious aren’t there European made boats that have a better parts availability and cost?
                        Working...
                        X