Prop hub slipping or worse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop hub slipping or worse?

I am researching a nasty little fault that just developed out of the complete blue today. Just going out on a flat calm sea to tease the cod fish. Came out of the lock at hull speed no problem. Pointed the nose towards the third star on the right (sorry for the Cap'n Kirk reference) and squirted the throttle to 3200 as per the usual 'get on the plane' procedure. She climbs to 3200 revs under load , starts to point the nose up and suddenly the "clutch slips" like an old Austin car. NB I still have good drive below 3000 revs . I tried the same procedure a few more times just to make sure that I wasn't doing anything stupid.

The instant diagnosis is "bu99er I must have hit something and spun the propeller hub". So, I limped home to port and docked up and ripped the prop off at the dock. No 'dinks' on the prop, no ropes hanging therefrom. Nothing.

I took the prop home and put it on my spare outdrive, locked the drive shaft and tried to spin the prop. No go. It is solid as a rock with my 160lbs trying to wrench it round. OK, so I can't produce a whole lot of power to spin it, so it might not be a very thorough test.

I'll pop back to the boat with number one spare prop in a day or two and see if I get proper drive. But, in the mean time I am wondering what else might cause a "slip" issue like that. There is no burning rubber smell (as per a shot coupler) and I can't really think of anything in the system that might simulate a burn-out car clutch.

Any ideas?

PS The prop was a 2015 Solas 4 blade aluminium prop. It is the type where the hub is not replaceable (I checked with the shop). Shame the shop is in Ireland or I'd take it in for them to test properly.
    Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
    1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
    MMSI 235061726

I'd say put on your spare prop and if it happens again your couplers on the way out, If not it was likely the prop hub.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I agree with Dave, it's most likely the prop hub. I had one do the same and it would hold load of my 5000 lbs boat up to 2000 rpm before slipping. the prop had no damage just the old rubber broke free. You can mark the inner and outer hub with a set punch and when the issue happens see if the two marks are no longer aligned.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I had same issue with a 2015/2016 Solas Amita 4-blade aluminum prop. Idle speed through channel, out to open water, slowly added power and as I did, engine rpm's jumped. Having NEVER spun a hub before, I panicked originally but settled down and thought that was the problem. I replaced the prop with my spare while there in the open water...10 mins and one of those things that in retrospect, I am glad I did for the experience. Anyway, like you, I examined the prop and no damage from an underwater object strike....I think the hub just let go....prop was on its second full season with steady use. Lower unit Always stored in down position with lower leg in water, prop below waterline. I have not had a proplem since replacing with same prop... I did all the necessary stuff as well such as applying some anti-siege lube prior to mounting prop.....maybe it was just a "that's the lifecycle" of that prop....I keep in mind, that those props are rather inexpensive about $100. If I had to replace on every year, so be it...I will have a better history this season as the current prop will be in its second season of use in fresh water...I love the prop though for my 185.....Solas Amita 4 14.25x19
        Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
        2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
        1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
        1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

good comments guys. Yep, the prop wasn't expensive. It cost £160 here in the U.K. Great idea about pin-marking the prop. I like that one. I'll get back to the boat shortly, put the spare on and post the results. I love my old Solas prop 14.25 x 19. It gave a 10% fuel saving and a 3 knot faster cruise for the same rpm. Not sure about buying another one if they only last 2 years though.
          MMSI 235061726

Comment

I believe you have a failed prop hub. The indicators you described are bang on. I had that problem for a couple of years on my last boat. Mercruiser Alpha drives, rubber prop hubs. The core problem, it was explained to me, was the glue was changed and degraded in about a year, especially if the boat was stored in the water. I changed to the glass reinforced plastic type and that was the end of the problem. I never had an issue with the plastic failing when it shouldn’t, like the rubber hubs, or not failing when it should.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I agree with Daves comment
              its unlikely both props have bad hubs, so install the spare prop. if the spare prop works well under load, the hub on #1 prop is bad, but if you get the same symptoms with the spare as you did with prop #1, you are probably going to find you have a drive coupler/damper issue, as these have the same symptoms as a spun prop hub.
              if it is the drive coupler, and you continue to keep the power on and let it slip for a minute or two, you should begin to smell rubber getting hot... if you do, its most definitely the drive coupler and not the hub.

we can only hope its a failed hub, but if it is the drive coupler, it can usually be changed in 3-4 hours... unless there is a problem removing it from the shaft.

NU LIBERTE'
              Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
              5.7 OMC Cobra
              N2K equipped throughout..

Comment

For the future if some one has this problem, scratch a line thru the hub on two sides if the line doesn't match up after a run and the slipping you know it's the prob hub.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Just getting back. The spare prop worked fine so it is the Solas prop being a pain. Shame. NIce prop but only lasted less than 100 hours. Not sure what to buy next. I can live with the 15 x 17 for now but WOT is in excess of 5000 rpm so a new prop would be nice. Plus, I got better economy from a 4 blade.
                  Thanks for all the help guys.
                  Terry
                  MMSI 235061726

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                    Nauti_Mike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad it was just the prop. Being an Alpha you can buy a new prop for the cost of replacing the hub. The last time I had a prop rehubbed it cost $150 US but I hav3 a Bravo II and a alumium prop is $300 - $500

one more reason, why I use a derlin sleeve prop / flo torque hub.
                  Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                  93 3058
                  92 2855
                  91 Fourwinns 205
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

Shop online carefully. I was buying counter rotating four blades without the inserts for about $110 each USD. I never needed in kit and it took me some time to figure that out.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                    MMSI 367770440
                    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by TerryW View Post
                      Just getting back. The spare prop worked fine so it is the Solas prop being a pain. Shame. NIce prop but only lasted less than 100 hours. Not sure what to buy next. I can live with the 15 x 17 for now but WOT is in excess of 5000 rpm so a new prop would be nice. Plus, I got better economy from a 4 blade.
                      Thanks for all the help guys.
                      Terry
                      I would get a second opinion on the NON replaceable hub... unless its for a small outboard, that would be a rare prop that has a rubber hub but isnt replaceable... especially a solas prop that is less than 20years old..

NU LIBERTE'
                      Salem, OR

5.7 OMC Cobra

Comment

I am still hunting for a repair solution and will post back if I can find anything. There may be a little prop shop tucked away in some village near the sea.
                        MMSI 235061726

Comment

Originally posted by TerryW View Post

I am still hunting for a repair solution and will post back if I can find anything. There may be a little prop shop tucked away in some village near the sea.
                          set it on the bench and with a block of wood on the spline part, try to drive it out the back of the prop.... if its spun, it shouldnt take much pressure. solas props are made so that the consumer can change the hub themselves, but sometimes the rubber can become stuck and needs a bit of persuasion with a hammer. after the splines are out, a small scraper or screwdriver and wd-40 can be used to get any remaining rubber out of the prop.. the wd 40 is so it lubricates the rubber so its easier for the scraper to be worked thru and loosen the remaining rubber

NU LIBERTE'
                          Salem, OR

5.7 OMC Cobra

Comment

To my knowledge Solas makes 2 models of props, Amita which is the pressed hub, and Titan which has the replaceable hub....I don't know what the warranty is either. I would think that the hub in the Amita cannot be replaced....hence the other model of prop...
                            Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                            1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Working...
                            X