Prefered Bilge Paint/Coating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prefered Bilge Paint/Coating

What are your preferences, and opinions on bilge paints. I don't really think I want to gel-coat. Interlux, Pettit, or Jamestown total boat bilge coatings? Advantages, disadvantages of each. They all appear to be fine products.

Thanks
    '89 3888
    "RUM AWAY"

Interlux bilge kote
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

What he said
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Sanded and re-gel coated mine. Bilge coat is a great product and much easier to do.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

BilgeKote is well regarded but I haven't used it.

I have used catalyzed automotive urethane in the past and been very happy with results - key is that it is catalyzed so that it will be solvent resistant. Worked with local autobody supply house for one of the low cost paint lines they had and catalyst nearing shelf life limit for a very nice price.

This is a project best undertaken when engines are out and you can really get into all the areas.
          1989 3888
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Hi Brian. I have always used Rust-oleum satin white in the bilge. Stays nice and easy clean up.

Comment

I used a commercial porch and floor paint i my bilge. Wasnt sure at first but now that i have been in and out a hundred times reinstalling the motor and access. It looks brand new still. Was about 1/3 the price of bilgecoat here where i live.........time will tell!
              Doug
              1995 496cu in. 2859 Bravo ll
              The Doghouse
              Prince George BC

Comment

bilgekote. i used it in the bilge of course and was so pleased with it that I use it on non-marine things.
                i'm a straight amateur painter (full disclosure).
                Last edited by aspen1880; 01-09-2018, 05:37 PM. Reason: full disclosure
                Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

I have used Bilgekote for many years. However no matter which product you use the surface preparation is more important then the product. The surface must be clean , dry , and oil free.
                  Gibraltar, Mi.
                  1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
                  34' Tollycraft- sold
                  88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                  14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Well it looks like Bilge Coat will be the coating of choice. I was looking for easy and durable, hoping to avoid the catalyzed coatings. This is actually phase 1 of the engine room spruce up. The portion of the bilge I am immediately concerned with is the keel sump. The boat is currently on the hard for a bottom job. This portion of the bilge would be very difficult to keep dry in the water.

Thanks for all the comments, they have been duly noted for future reference.
                    '89 3888
                    "RUM AWAY"

Comment

More important for any of these products to hold up you need to clean and degrease the bilge.
                      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

• builderdude
                        builderdude commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree, good prep work is the key.

Scrub it good with red scotchbrite and degreaser. Probably several times. Soap and water . I use simple green. The last scrub with a solvent degreaser dry well. You'll need a respirator mask. With bilge kote you will need good ventilation and a respirator make sure there are no shiney spots before you start to paint.

when I say scrub I mean push hard when you do it . Red scotchbrite is about 400 grit sand paper but you need to push on it when you do it. It's also good for getting areas sand paper wont. Switch out the scotchbrite before it gets wimpy
                      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                      twin 454's
                      MV Mar-Y-Sol
                      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                      Twin chevy 350's inboard
                      Ben- Jamin
                      spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                      X