Coolant replacement schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant replacement schedule

Looking at the Hino Stcky, it shows the coolant should be replaced after 6 months! I’m looking at that schedule and trying to figure out I really to change out the NAPA Heavy (truck) Duty with the alphabet following but correct for sleeve type engines like my EH700’s. It’s not so much the cost, it’s the pita. Those advisories were written 30 years ago and more, before the extended life and “targeted” coolants. We run the boat nearly all year, not quite a daily driver, but not a six month layup either.
    I understand there are bunches of opinions, I’ve tried for some online data, but the only datapoint for PM is from the Hino sticky.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

My understanding is the coolant back then wasn't as good as you can buy today if you buy good/great quality coolant. Last service I bought the best quality concentrate coolant Napa sells and mixed 50/50 with DI water. I've decided to replace on a two year schedule providing PH is reasonable no other reasons come up that would indicate I should change it sooner.

1995 Bayliner 3587
    Twin Hino 250HP
    Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

I got an email from Earl (for those of you who don’t know who he is, he’s the authority on Hinos in Bayliners) this morning and he shed a whole bunch of light on the why. There was a service memo sent out early on to change the coolant often because there was an issue with incomplete cleaning of the casting sand, mostly in the manicoolers. Go figure. Since mine have been off and flushed and it’s been 30 years, a longer cycle would be appropriate while monitoring the ph.
      In talking with my oldest son, he noted that there has been a similar situation in the smaller diesel trucks too.
      I’m no longer going “wait....what?” On that one.

Admin: it may be a good plan to update the Hino sticky with this information.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
      X