Is this transom crack normal or OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this transom crack normal or OK?

Is this transom crack normal or OK? I hope this is the correct forum for this. I'm looking at buying a Bayliner 288. Atl inspection yesterday I saw these two bolts that appear to be sunken into the transom a slight bit with rust on them. Also, I found this crack. Would these concern you or do they appear normal? It is a 2005 model. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Files

NO by what you describe and a larger are picture would help, if the bolts are sunk in - translates to soft wood question is how extensive and will the current owner repair or offer a Big discount for you to repair?
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Definitely waterlogged. And not an easy or cheap fix. If you can do it yourself and get the boat for a deep discount it may be worth it. Not sure what he is asking.

this looks pretty serious with the big crack in the glass. Must be seriously wet and froze over winter or something. Will be a full transom rebuild im thinking. Stringers may be affected also.
      Doug
      1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
      496 big block - Bravo ll leg
      The Doghouse
      Prince George BC

Comment

The compressed bolt is somewhat normal but not right. If a bolt is turned hard enough it will compress into the wood. The crack is not normal or correct. It cracked because because the wood expanded probably.from being set.

Better check the wood core integrity If its ok you need to dry it and repair the crack. Those rust stains also my be a sign of other through hull parts leaking.

If the wood is soft well then you have bigger problems
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

Agree with the others, the core material is probably mush. Also judging by the water stain bellow, it appears there's been a fair amount of water sitting in the bilge.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Well... that what I was afraid I was going to hear. .... uuugghhhh

looks like I may have to back out of the contract and keep looking.. bummer.

Would this possibly be worth fixing or should I run away??

thanks for the help and input!

Comment

Consider the price, if a super deal for an 05 boat and you have the space - shop - willingness to tackle this big project, if the answer is no, RUN.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Why am I not seeing the picture? From the conversation I’m reading, I’m the only one not seeing it. My filter is set at see “all”.
                im still learning this new format, so I’m sure I’m the problem. But, how do I fix that. (Be kind with your answer. Seniors are fragile).
                Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Just from seeing these three pictures you can plainly see this boat needs work and was not taken care of. I'd walk away. Who knows what else is wrong with this boat.
                  1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
                  5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

RUN fast as you can...
                    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

Agree with the RUN advise. Just looking at the color of the bilge deck as well as everything else, that boat has not been well maintained or taken care of. There is likely no GOOD deal for that boat.
                      Bob Hawes.
                      Kelowna, B.C.
                      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Its a big job but if you have the know how and time you can replace the transom and improve on the factory work a bunch. The factory work is not great. In the end you will have a better transom than new and piece of mind knowing what you have going forward.

The purchase price should take this kind of work into account or its not worth it.
                        Doug
                        1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
                        496 big block - Bravo ll leg
                        The Doghouse
                        Prince George BC

Comment

As a marine surveyor, I say: run like hell, it is a money pit.
                          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                          Twin 350 GM power
                          Located in Seward, AK
                          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I agree....Run fast....but with knowledge of what you don't want.
                            2008 H210SS Four Winns
                            Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
                            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
                            Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

You all are a world of knowledge and a lot of help. Thank you for all of the opinions... really not what I wanted to hear, but it confirms exactly what I suspected but didn't want to admit to myself. I passed and am continuing to look. I just found a nice Bayliner 325 that I'm interested in. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X