Adjusting my EZ Loader Trailer-gctid401811

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting my EZ Loader Trailer-gctid401811

After reading about positioning the boat on the trailer in another thread I found to my dismay that my trailer is not even close to correct and I think it's been this way since it was new in '79 as the Trailer is a 1980. I'm pretty sure it's the trailer that came with the boat.

My rearmost rollers are about 16" forward of the Transom. The only way to move the boat that far forward is to move the tower the winch is mounted on forward. The winch mount now is right up against the forward cross brace, so there is plenty of room to go forward.

My concern at that point is if the forward rollers are in the right place as they seem in the right place now, at the point where the keel just starts become the bow.

Any insight into the proper setup would be helpful. The EZ Loader manual doesn't really get into setting up the trailer for a particular boat.

Frankly I'm surprised no damage has been done over all these years.

Thanks in advance.

Miles
    Aquatic Muse
    Mount Vernon, WA
    MMSI: 367498870
    '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Just an update... It appears I only had to move the boat forward 13". Not sure why I cared after it's been this way for 33 years, but I figure maybe after 33 years she should be cradled properly. All I had to do was move the winch tower forward and it looks like everything else is ok.

I have read that there should be 10% the boat weight on the tung which has to be about 300lbs and some change. I will check it, but I'm pretty sure it was a lot less before I moved it forward because I was actually able to lift the tung before. Not easily, but I also know I can't lift 300 lbs... If I had to guess, and I'm pretty good at guessing, it was only about 200 lbs on the tung before. Anyway, the boat looks like it's more stable now on the trailer even.

The transom has a bump out of about an inch where the I/O is so I split the difference and the axles are about 1 to 1.5 inches in from the edge of the transom. Far enough for support, yet if the boat sits up forward a little the rear rollers will still be under the transom. I'll just double check it the first few times we launch, but it should be AOK now.

Of course, if this course of logic is all wet.... I'm sure someone here will steer me straight.
    Aquatic Muse
    Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

Exactly the point I just made in the thread you just referenced. 33 years and no damage. Exactly! However tongue weight is important.

Comment

Fish-a-Palooza wrote:
        Exactly the point I just made in the thread you just referenced. 33 years and no damage. Exactly! However tongue weight is important.
        I would agree with Wayne.

Even the older EZ's offered quite a bit of adjustability, from winch tower position, to roller system cross member adjustments, to the suspension under-carriage adjustments.

EZ L has always been pretty good for allowing adjustments.

If the hull now sits nicely on the roller system, but tonque weight is off a tad, you may be able to move the suspension FWD or AFT a bit.

But it sounds like you are dialed in now!
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I totally agree tongue weight is very important. (re my post in the other thread). I need to check it now. The admiral has had the tow vehicle all weekend so maybe tomorrow I'll run by the scales.

It's a double axle trailer so not sure of how to move the carriage yet, but I'll figure it out if I have too. It certainly feels a little heavier on the tongue than it did before, but frankly I think it was a little lite before anyway, I just never thought of adjusting it assuming (yea I know) the PO's had all done it right.
          Aquatic Muse
          Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

Working...
          X